Chapter One

AN: This story is being rewritten

AN: This story is being rewritten. Please comment if there's a plot hole or if I missed something or if you notice any typos. Thank you ❤️

It was a rainy Sunday afternoon as Eleanor Baker strolled through Diagon Alley towards Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. This was officially her last stop before she gave up trying to find a job. Eleanor had just graduated from Hogwarts and thought that finding a job would be easy, little did she know how wrong she was. Prior to settling with an ice cream parlor, Eleanor tried speaking to Mr. Mulpepper at the Apothecary shop, but was told her marks in Potions and Herbology wouldn't do him any good. After being rejected by him, she tried Flourish and Blotts, but Mr. Villanelle didn't even let her finish her question before being shooed away. She was defeated after having about three more shops do the exact same thing.

"Um, excuse me? Mister...?" Eleanor started, but didn't know how to finish. How could she not remember his name? She had been coming here since she was a little girl. The man behind the counter perked his head up, but continued mixing something in his bowl.

"My name is on the sign my dear girl. How are you today Eleanor?" Mr. Fortescue said before even seeing who was standing on the other side of his counter.

Eleanor, now too embarrassed to ask him the silly question only said, "Can I please have a scoop of sticky toffee pudding on a cone?"

"Coming right up," Mr. Fortescue replied while going to put together her order. "Anything else Ellie?"

"Um, actually... Are you in need of any assistance around your parlor?" Eleanor asked politely while paying Mr. Fortescue and grabbing the cone from him.

"I'm afraid not Ellie, business has been unusually slow so I don't exactly need the help or have the money to take you on. I'm sorry." Mr. Fortescue said while giving Eleanor the look she had been given all day. She wished him a good day and set off to go back to her flat, but decided to walk a bit longer just in case she missed a store. Her mother would be so disappointed if she was still around to see this. Suddenly, her worst nightmare flashed in front of her and she groaned, not wanting to accept the fact she would have to get a job at the Ministry.

Just as Eleanor was about to apparate home, she felt something tugging at her skirt. Startled, she tried kicking whatever it was away and fell over onto the cobblestone street. Eleanor looked to the left and right, but couldn't see a thing. Was she losing her mind? She rubbed the mud off of her skirt and looked around again.

"What the...? Oh my!" Eleanor was all of a sudden staring face to face with a creature she had only ever heard rumours about. What stood in front of her was a silky, silver haired creature with huge amber eyes munching on her ice cream cone.

"I'm not so sure you should be eating that Mister!" Eleanor giggled, but didn't want to scare the demiguise away. She was told that they can predict the immediate future and could often give a good bite if provoked. Her mother used to tell her all about different kinds of creatures from all over the world. It was her favorite topic to discuss, but other's thought it made her seem foolish and too much of a child. As she was about to get lost in her own memories, she heard footsteps and looked up.

A man was walking right towards them. She caught the eye of the demiguise and pointed to him. The primates eyes turned a wicked blue as they locked in with the eyes of the man. It jumped onto Eleanor's back, let out a grunt, and buried its face into her neck.

"Now now, there's no reason to get all worked up. Let's just see what he wants, okay?" Eleanor stated as she stood up and swung the creature into her arms. He clung onto her and stared down the man that now stood in front of them. He had on a brown suit with a yellow vest, a dark blue jacket, and was carrying a leather case. His face was kind, full of freckles, and a mess of unruly brown hair.

"Erm good evening Miss. I see you've found my um... Dougal." He said while pointing to the creature.

"Your... Dougal?" Eleanor restated. "You mean this guy? This is a demiguise and they should not be kept as pets! He needs to be released back into the wild. Who even are you?"

"Oh, my apologies. My name is Newt Scamander." The man began. His eyes perked when she mentioned the word demiguise; almost as if he was impressed she knew the name of it. "I'm so sorry if he has caused you any trouble. I can assure you he's not just a pet, but a rescue. You see, he was being sold to use his coat for an invisibility cloak. They would've killed him and I was able to get to him before it was too late. I named him Dougal."

"Oh my goodness, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to attack you like that. I know about the monsters that sell these beautiful creatures and it really makes my blood boil. I thought you were one of them trying to hurt this little fella." Eleanor stated while patting the back of Dougal's head.

"No, quite the opposite actually," Newt chuckled and went to try and take Dougal back, but he was not having it. "So sorry, really, I've never seen him so attached to a stranger before."

"It's really no big deal. We can wait it out as long as you're not in a rush." Eleanor stated.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get your name?" Newt asked.

"Eleanor," she said and stuck out her hand. Newt took it and gave it a warm squeeze.

"Pleasure," he said. "Shall we walk and grab a bite? I've been looking for Dougal all day and I'm famished."

"I would like that very much," Eleanor smiled and began walking towards The Leaky Cauldron, Dougal still in her arms as Newt walked beside her.