FIFTY-SIX

I needed to do something

I needed to do something. Madie had already fallen into a post-orgasmic slumber, and meanwhile, my entire body was awake in painfully throbbing ways.

Slipping out from the bed, I treaded lightly to the window, scanning the street in front of Caroline's house.

I hated feeling like I was being watched. Most of my life, I'd felt that way. Watched.

In reality, I was almost certain no one watched me at all.

But it felt like they were.

When you're the slow kid with the dead mom, murderous dad, and a hardcore attitude, you feel like people are watching you. But no one actually cares. Not really.

I watched the cars drive by for a few minutes, letting the monotony of it numb my senses until they no longer burned. Until I could breathe again. Feeling and hearing Madie's orgasm had temporarily disarmed my ability to inhale and exhale normally.

I glanced over, watching her sleep in my bed. How many times over the past month had I looked at that mattress and imagined her being there? Now she was—with one leg tossed on top of the covers and her cute ass popping out the side of them.

Fuck. My breath hitched in my throat again, and I looked back at the traffic. And when that didn't quite distract me well enough, I decided to call Officer James.

Nothing like talk of an attempted murderer to cool your blood.

Luckily he answered this time. And it was to tell me good news.

"Hey, sorry," he started with. "I had a really intense case last night. But I got your message, and I think you'll be relieved to know that we've got that Devon guy in custody."

Relieved was an understatement. I sagged against the window sill, letting my forehead rest against the cool pane. Thank fucking god.

"His physical description fit pretty well with that old picture of your father, so when we saw him at the cemetery the other night, we assumed he was our guy," James said.

"So he staged himself there," I inserted flatly.

"Yeah, but I doubt he would have done it if he'd realized that there was a warrant out for his arrest. It didn't take us too long to piece together that we didn't have Luke Hadaway. Especially because your girlfriend planted a seed of doubt in our head. But then we still kept Reid for the other shit he's wanted for." James gave a humorless chuckle. "He was real surprised about that. Guess he had no clue his wife went to the police."

"So he's still there?" I asked, anxious to hear confirmation.

"He's still here. I mean, he'll get released with a court date before too long, but it still gives us some time to investigate his connections with your dad and the attempted murder on your girlfriend. Considering where we found him, and with having Luke in custody to interview, it shouldn't be too hard."