꧁ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎: 𝚁𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝙽𝚘𝚠 ꧂

꧁ 𝟹𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝙿𝙾𝚅 ꧂

         TEARS FELL DOWN SKYLER'S FACE
as she stood in the entrance of the temporary Mikaelson home, the rest of the siblings were standing nearby, mixtures of confusion and worry evident on their faces. lol looked at them as he held his wife close and nodded as if saying "I've got this." He picked her up carefully and took her to his room

He didn't know what was going on with his mate, all he felt from the bond was guilt and pure, heart-shattering sadness and he didn't know why. He did know that he wanted to wrap her up in his arms and never let her leave again.

He couldn't help but think if she had never left the safety of their home that she wouldn't be feeling this way now.

He set her down on their bed, tears were still falling from her eyes although she was clearly trying to push them back now. She never did like crying in front of people, even him.

"Sky." Kol said as he sat down beside her. "What happened?" He kept his voice soft and calm, although on the inside he wanted to find whoever made her feel this way and tear their heart right out of their chest. But, he conceded, right now he needed to be by her side.

Skyler did not give an answer.

Tears were still shimmering in her eyes, flowing down her cheeks no matter how hard she tried to stop them, he sighed and pulled her into his side, wrapping his arms around her. "Please Gem, tell me what happened." He pleaded with her.

"I don't know what to do anymore," A sob forced its way out of her throat as she held onto him. "I know Nik, I know he's gonna end up hurting them but they're my brothers, Kol, I don't want to hurt them. I don't want to lie to them."

"I know my love." He didn't know. How could he not have known? He held her anyway, holding her close always helped.

"I promised her." She cried into his chest.

Now, this confused Kol. Promised who?

"Who did you promise gem?" He asked in confusion.

Skyler burrowed herself as close to him as she could get, hesitating a moment before she said the words out loud, "My mom."

Oh.

Kol held her a little closer and a little tighter. She never talked about her mom, when she did it was short and sharp.

For a while, he had thought their relationship was bad, like the one she had with her father, but then he realized it was the opposite. Her mother was kind and sweet to her children, and they lost her too soon. Kol also realized that growing up, Skyler had blamed her mother for dying, for leaving her to deal with their father alone, for leaving Damon to be hurt.

For her to mention her mother...

She must've been thinking of her more lately. That was the only time she mentioned her.

"Nik won't hurt them." He told her deciding silently that he would kill his brother if he dared hurt her brothers. He didn't even like them all that much, but if it meant Skyler wouldn't cry anymore, he would do anything. "I promise."

"You can't promise that." She said she was right of course, not that Kol would admit that, she shook her head, "Nik needs the doppelgänger, and to get her, he'll do anything."

"He wouldn't hurt you." He told her, and it was the truth; Niklaus would do anything to get the doppelgänger, anything but hurt his best friend.

"But he would hurt them." She responded.

He didn't deny it. How could he when she would know it was a lie?

Instead, he laid down and asked her to follow, she gave him a strange look, so he asked again, patting her side of the bed silently, and she obliged with a roll of her eyes. He pulled her closer when she tried to lay down with a few inches between them and held her close. She rested her head on his chest, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"I've got you." He told her softly, his words more than words, it was a promise that they both heard loud and clear. "I'll keep you safe." He said when she burrowed into him.

"I know." She whispered, not a hint of a lie in her voice.

She knew he would keep her safe, but he couldn't keep her brothers safe. She didn't blame him, she couldn't either.

Maybe, she thought, I could talk to Nik. I don't know what I'd get out of it, what would change, but maybe something would change. But just maybe she could change something. Maybe she could save them this time.

"What are we gonna do?" She asked after a moment before they could get too relaxed.

"About?" He replied, his voice deep with sleep. Having her near him made him realize how badly he had been sleeping lately without her there.

She shuffled beside him, she didn't want to talk about this now, she wanted to stay by his side and just relax while she could, but she didn't know when they would be able to talk about it. "Everything." She answered.

Kol hummed in acknowledgment and then spoke a moment later, "I don't know."

Skyler sighed. She should've known that would be the answer, she didn't have the answer either.

"I can't stay long." She told him quietly. He knew already, it was simply a sore reminder to both of them that they would have to separate soon.

Kol nodded as he held her, his eyes were closed. After all this time away from her he could finally relax again. "You're here now." He pointed out in a whisper.

She smiled softly. "Yeah." She agreed, "I'm here now."

They both knew she couldn't stay long. Even if she could stay long, it wouldn't be long enough. They had spent centuries together, being together for a couple of hours wasn't enough anymore, they were used to being together all the time. But they had right now.

Right now was all that mattered to them right now, because right now was all they had. Right now, in this moment, they have each other and that was all that mattered.

꧁ 𝟷,𝟶𝟼𝟸 𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 ꧂