Chapter 11 - Blackmail

《Scaramouche's POV》

The two stood there, staring at the tall ginger man. He looked both well put together but also carefree.

Y/N turned to whisper into Scaramouche's ear, their eyes still fixed on the redhead, "Who's that??"

Scaramouche rolled his eyes, "Don't mind him. He's just a minor annoyance." He made sure to emphasize the "annoyance" part, purely so that the man could hear him.

Y/N took a closer look, staring intently at him. That made Scaramouche a bit nervous.

"His clothes.. he's a part of the Fatui!" Y/N said.

Scaramouche froze. He didn't like what was about to happen next.

Y/N slowly turned to him, "How.. how do you know this man?"

He didn't answer, he just kept looking at Y/N, then back at the ginger. He never felt so unsure of what to say in his whole life. Scaramouche was one who never found himself at a loss for words, he always knew what to say, even if it was only lies. But in this moment, he was stumped.

The tone in Y/N's voice rose, "How do you know him?"

The ginger man stepped up, "He and I go way back. We ran into each other a while ago, and he totally beat me up real good! He's pretty strong, I'll give him that."

Scaramouche was shocked. The man who he had an everlasting feud with just.. helped him? Was he drunk or something??

The man walked closer to the duo, "You could say we're rivals!" He winked at Y/N, "Anyway, I'm Childe, number 11 of the Fatui Harbingers!"

Y/N's eyes widened, "So not only are you a Fatui, you're a harbinger??" They turned to Scaramouche, "Why do you keep getting involved with such evil people?"

Scaramouche chuckled nervously. He really dug himself into that one, didn't he. There's no way he could tell Y/N the truth now. It was obvious they hated Fatui, finding out they were traveling with one this whole time wouldn't end well for him.

"Childe, I would like to speak with you. Alone." Scaramouche said, obviously angry at him. He walked away from Y/N, forcefully grabbing Childe's arm. He was definitely stronger than he looked considering he was vertically challenged.

Scaramouche pulled Childe aside, "What was that about? I don't need any help from you." He yelled. His real self was finally showing through that facade he'd been using for the past few days.

"I see you've found a special someone~" Childe teased.

Scaramouche swiftly stepped on Childe's feet, causing him to yelp in pain, "HEY what was that for??"

"For interfering," Scaramouche started walking away.

"Hm, It'd be a shame if your little friend were to find out who you really were~" Childe said, playfulness in his voice.

Scaramouche slowly turned towards him, still obviously angry, "What are you saying?"

"You're always manipulating everyone else, maybe it's time you're at the end of that for once," Childe snickered, "Plus I thought this would be quite amusing for me! The longer they don't know, the worse their reaction will be. I wouldn't miss that for the world~"

Scaramouche just looked at him. He hated to admit it, but Childe was right. The longer they kept it from Y/N, the more they'll hate him.

Usually he wouldn't mind if he was hated, especially by some random adventurer. But for some reason, he didn't want Y/N to hate him. He wanted them to be the one person that didn't know him as the 6th harbinger, and he wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible. And if that meant receiving help from someone, and Childe of all people, then so be it.