15- Another Orphan to Befriend

***

***

To say that Aurora sincerely detested Spinner's End would be an understatement. The rickety house groaned and creaked all throughout the hot summer nights. The dark and murky atmosphere surrounding the small home made Aurora nearly yearn for her old Manor, which was only slightly less creepy. Severus Snape's home was not much different from his office at Hogwarts, with bottles and jars of different gruesome ingredients on shelves like decorations. The peeling wallpaper added no charm to the withering halls.

Aurora's room was small. She didn't mind the size, however it was the utter loneliness she could sense seeping through the peeling walls and creaking floorboards which unsettled her. Her godfather had informed Aurora that it used to be his childhood bedroom. It was bare, with a twin sized wooden bed, the only other artifacts in the dingy room was a rickety steel chair, as well as a medium sized circular mirror hung unevenly on the wall. She was starting to understand Snape much better in this environment.

Her godfather was rarely at the house— he'd be at Hogwarts on most days. She had learned to cook meals on her own in the few weeks that she'd been there. As lonely and desperate for human contact as she was, she had yet to call for Tom. She had found herself in a depression of sorts. She had not responded to any of her friends letters, nor had she spoken to Draco. Most days, she was laying in bed, her thoughts never leaving the events of that treacherous night.

Her magic had not taken kindly to her new attitude— on harder days that'd end up with her crying, items would implode and wind would pick up outside due to her frustration that'd been festering for too long. On one night after Rory had a particularly nasty nightmare, which included both versions of Tom Riddle, the whole neighborhood had nearly gotten swept up in an accidental tornado. Uncle Severus had not been pleased. The next night, he had informed her that Dumbledore pulled some strings at the Ministry, allowing for her to use her magic as she wished. Dumbledore had also passed the message to get it out, probably hoping for Rory to not accidentally murder a pack of muggles in some freak accident.

After yet another night of restlessness, she found herself staring at the blank wall of her room as usual. Aurora felt her powerful magic swimming uneasily in her veins, making her irritated already, on top of a night with little sleep. She had decided to get some fresh air, not being able to stand the murky atmosphere any longer. She had almost grabbed the diary out of instinct, however, as soon as her fingers touched the black leather she had flinched back as if burnt. No, she thought to herself, it's a simple walk— I can live without him.

Glancing back at the diary one last time, she gently shut her bedroom door. Quietly stepping down the squeaky stairs, she crossed the foyer swiftly and exited the front door. She had to shield her face from the bright summer sun, not having left the the small home in weeks. The air smelled slightly of petrol as well as the scent of burning nearby factories, but it was pleasant nonetheless.