꧁ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚃𝚠𝚘: 𝚂𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙳𝚊𝚖𝚘𝚗 ꧂

꧁ 𝟹𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝙿𝙾𝚅 ꧂

"WHERE'S DAMON?"
Elena asked someone Skyler didn't recognize.

"Where he should be. It's over for Damon." The man said. Skyler and Stefan both avoided his eye contact scared they would snap.

"You're crazy." Elena told the man.

"Why?" He asked, "because I'm doing what should've been done 145 years ago? This is the right thing, Elena."

Right thing, Skyler barely held back a laugh that tears surely would've followed if she didn't.

The man noticed Stefan looking at the burning building where Damon was and spoke, "Go ahead. You won't make it out. Neither of you will." Stefan and Skyler looked him in the eyes for the first time, "It'll save me the trouble of killing you myself."

Skyler nearly snapped at that. It was one thing to threatens her, another to threaten her family. The man was lucky Kol or any of her other family wasn't here right now, he would've already been dead if they were.

"You know the building well, is there another entrance in?" Stefan asked Elena quietly so nobody else could hear though they all knew the man in front of them did, they just didn't care:

"Uh, utility door. There's one around the side." Elena told him pointing the way, Stefan looked at Skyler who nodded, silently apologizing to Kol even though he wouldn't hear. He must've felt the pain earlier, now he may feel even more.

She hated that part of being soulmates. She didn't want him to hurt every time she did, even if it did keep her safe like he told her anytime she voiced that thought.

Stefan and Skyler started heading for the door, Elena went to follow however she was held back by the man, Skyler glanced back but didn't stop, she couldn't — she wouldn't, not for her.

Skyler and Stefan arrived at the door, Stefan already starting to tear the chains off when Bonnie called out to them, rushing forward, "Hey you can't go in there!" She shouted, stopping in front of them, "The fire will take you both out."

"He's our brother, Bonnie." Skyler said looking at the girl she didn't even know with tears in her eyes, wiping them away before following Stefan into the burning building even if the fire did take her out.

"Don't leave my side." Stefan told Skyler sternly, "I can't lose you too."

Skyler shook her head, staying by his side, "You're not losing either of us." Stefan didn't say it but he hoped she was right, Skyler hoped she was too.

Stefan found the locked door, touching it only to be burned by vervain, he grunted and Skyler pulled it open before he could try again.

"I have a tolerance." She said when he saw it having little effect on her.

They looked into the basement, fire everywhere burning all the vampires alive. The stairs were covered in flames, there was no way they could get down them not until the flames started to dissipate just enough for them to walk down. They didn't waste time rushing down the stairs, going straight to their brother who was crawling on the floor.

"Damon!" Skyler called, going to his left while Stefan went to his right, Stefan held into him, helping him up.

"Come here, come on," Stefan said, looking around.

"We gotta go." Skyler said, the flames surrounding them heating her skin. Stefan clearly agreed as they disappeared up the stairs, the flames returning immediately. They barely got out but they did.

Stefan and Damon were both coughing as they got out the door first, Skyler followed, her lungs starting to itch from the smoke she had inhaled.

"I- I have to go." Skyler said stumbling a bit. She shook her head as Stefan tried to help stabilize her, Elena helping with Damon, "I'm fine. I'm fine, I just—" She paused, coughing slightly, "I just need air." And Kol, not that they could know that.

Stefan nodded, still looking at her worriedly. "I'm fine." She repeated.

She left before they could say anything, she returned to their home going straight to her room where she grabbed her phone and called Kol who picked up on the second ring.

"Gem!" Kol exclaimed, relief filling his voice.

"Hi." Skyler said standing out on her balcony to feel the cool breeze and breathe in the fresh air.

"What happened?" He asked worriedly.

"Mystic Falls sucks." Skyler responded as if that explained everything — it didn't.

She could see him rolling his eyes now, she didn't have to be right in front of him to know what he did. She knew him. "I know that already love, I want to know what exactly happened." He responded softly but sternly.

"The council tried to kill all the vampires with a device which was the source of the first pain, the headache." Skyler started explaining, "They used it to gather the vampires and put them in a burning building. Damon — he almost died in there. Stefan and I had to get him out."

"That's why my lungs hurt." Kol finished knowingly, Skyler nodded despite him not being able to see it.

"Yeah. They thought they were doing what should've been done 145 years ago," she gulped, "I was lucky I wasn't caught."

Kol was silent then, not knowing what to say and then... "Tell me you killed them?" He pleaded.

"No." She answered he groaned on the other end, "A whole council disappearing wouldn't exactly help the plan, Kol." Skyler told him sternly, pushing a hair behind her ear when it fell in her face. She wished she could've killed them, she would've in a heartbeat after seeing Damon down there.

Kol huffed. "Screw the plan. They wanted you dead."

"They wanted vampires dead." She corrected.

"And you're a vampire." He responded.

Skyler rolled her eyes, "Yes I'm aware."

Kol sighed. "Can you come to the mansion tonight?" He asked softly.

Skyler bit her lip. "I don't know, Kol."

"Please gem?" Kol asked, "I just want to hold you."

Skyler sighed, nodding before remembering he couldn't see. "I'll be there in three."

"Make it two." Kol responded only half teasing.

Skyler was there in one, almost two. She was immediately wrapped into a hug from Kol who refused to let her go, the rest offered smiles or said they were happy she was okay before she got dragged up to Kol's room where he laid down with her and wrapped her closely against his chest, she had no complaints, closing her eyes feeling safe in his arms.

"I'm okay." She told him knowing how worried he was as he listened to her heartbeat.

"I know." But you weren't, he almost added, instead saying, "I love you."

She smiled, "I love you too."

꧁ 𝟷,𝟷𝟸𝟽 𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 ꧂