꧁ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗: 𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎'𝚜 𝚂𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 ꧂

꧁ 𝟹𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝙿𝙾𝚅 ꧂

TIRED, Skyler walked into her home, she yawned as she closed the door. She wanted desperately to be back in Kol's arms right now however she had already disappeared for too long and they both knew it. After everything that happened, her brothers were sure to be worried about where she went off to.

Or at least that's what she thought however when she got home, she was alone, her brothers nowhere in sight, she assumed her brothers, or Stefan at the least, was with Elena. She shouldn't be surprised. She was almost tempted to leave, go back to Kol. She closed the front door, not bothering to lock it, nobody unwanted was allowed in.

She made her way upstairs, intent on acting as though she had been here for a while whenever her brothers decided to come home.

Home, Skyler looked around, then shook her head. This wasn't her home, her home was...

Flashes of Kol swifter through her mind, him smiling, laughing, looking at her as if she was the world because to him, he had told her once, she was his world, then he and Skyler laying in bed together, Kol proposing, getting married, and everything before and after. Flashes of her with his family who had become hers with such ease that it almost scared her. At times she still wouldn't admit it to herself that these people were her family now and a lot of the time they were better than her own.

This was not to say the Mikaelsons were perfect, as we all know they weren't by any means. They had hurt millions of others and then each other, but at the end of the day, they stuck around for each other.

Skyler remembers how, growing up in her last few years as a human, she has actually dreamt of running away, leaving her father and brothers behind though she did love her brothers because she loved them but she would have left them in a heartbeat if it meant getting away from their father. Their father who screamed at her stood over her no matter the situation, and (whenever in public) held her shoulder so tightly it hurt, a reminder she had an image to protect, her father who would get angry and— she pushed the unwanted memories away, her heart pounding just a bit faster now. She took a deep, calming breath.

Her family would kill and die for each other.

But the Mikaelsons would do all that and more, they'd stay for each other, they would trust in each other no matter what happened.

Yet still, Skyler felt this desire — no that didn't explain it right, it was a need — to stay, to protect her family no matter the cost. It was like something was always dragging her back to them, she could never get away. Even after all these years.

For the first time in nearly two hundred years, Skyler found herself dreaming of running from her brothers because she couldn't think of any other way to get away from this need besides doing what she did best — running.

She was a coward.

Beside her on the bed — when had she gotten to her bed? — her phone buzzed. Not her Skyler Salvatore phone, her Skyler Mikaelson phone.

She picked it up and answered it without bothering to look, only five people had this number and she would die to talk to any one of them.

"Hello?" Skyler asked a certain caring tone missing from her voice.

"Skygem." Kol said on the other side sounding relieved.

Skyler sat up against her (no that wasn't right, her bed was with Kol) bed, leaning against the headboard. "Kol."

"You were supposed to call when you got there." Kol said sounding worried.

Skyler furrowed her brows she hadn't been here long, had she?

"It's been an hour." Skyler blinked in surprise.

Then, she focused on her hearing, allowing herself to focus on this sense she found that she was still in the house alone.

"Shit, I'm sorry, Kol. I've been... lost in my head." Skyler explained apologetically.

"It's alright love just gave me a bit of a scare." Kol confessed, "how are you?"

"Honest answer?" She asked, relaxing with the steady sound of his voice.

"Always."

꧁꧂

A while later, Kol stood on the balcony of his bedroom as he hung up the phone. Skyler had fallen asleep around ten minutes ago however Kol hadn't hung up. He needed to hear her heartbeat, needed to make sure she was okay even if it was only through the phone.

Kol had never really known who was supposed to be God, had never cared enough to focus himself on any specific religion, too busy being staked until he was woken for what was supposed to be a short time only to meet his mate in a scared newborn vampire Klaus had found running straight onto their property just days before, however now he couldn't help but hope whoever was up there would keep his mate safe because he felt like he couldn't, no matter how hard he tried. He couldn't do anything without revealing himself and that would put her and the rest of their family in more danger. He couldn't do that to her. So he had forced himself to stay in the shadows.

Kol hoped Elijah's plan would be over with soon before he went crazy. He didn't know how much longer he could do it, waking up without her, knowing she was with her family who had a past of hurting her, not hearing her laugh and seeing her smile every day, he'd do anything to wake up to her bringing them breakfast in bed only to be pulled onto the bed the second she set the food down, right into his arms where he knew she would always be safe.

His family knew this, everyone knew it.

Every time her heartbeat spiked even just for a second no matter the reason he was scared, scared something would happen, scared that if it was he couldn't do anything about it, scared that her own family would break her and leave him to pick up the pieces again which he would happily do all while holding her in his arms, hell sometimes he was scared that his father had somehow found them — found her — and was hurting her.

Let it be known, Kol Mikaelson wasn't scared of many things, however, nobody was without fears. His father had once been Kol's biggest fear, once he met Skyler, that changed.

Kol's biggest fear had been losing Skyler since the day he met him except he had always had her by his side to remedy that constant fear, now, however, he clearly did not.

He just wanted her to be safe. That's all he wanted. And this — not knowing, not being there — it was driving him crazy.

꧁ 𝟷,𝟷𝟻𝟹 𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 ꧂