Chapter 29

Ashiya's PoV:

I had caught on a firefly and was going to show it to Ammi when I halted on my steps as I heard Ahan's voice.

"She has the right to say no," He said, "Khala, I like your daughter and I want to marry her but only if she wants to. She's completely entitled to make decisions regarding her life and marriage is no joke. If she says no, please don't pressurise her. I promise I won't bear any grudges."

Ahan likes me. AHAN FREAKING LIKES ME. And he wants to marry you, my subconscious chirped and I pinched myself to check if I were dreaming. He likes me but more than that, he respects me. He respects ny decision. He understands consent. Should I...? He seems like a good guy and I somehow like him. Not, love, but yeah I like him.  Ya Allah, should I say yes? I closed my eyes and recalled the dream I had had about him. It felt so good and right. He felt right. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath, my heart and brain agreeing on a decision.

I think I know what to do now. I dialled Ammi's number and asked her to come in the kitchen saying that I wanted to talk to her about something.

"What was the emergency?" Ammi sounded annoyed probably because I interrupted her chat with Khala.

"I...have made a decision." Ammi looked at me for a second before she realised what I was talking about.

"And that is...?" She asked with hope in her eyes.

"I am ready," I said firmly, "to marry him." Ammi's eyes widened and she let out a squeal of joy. I instantly covered her mouth with my hand to stop her but she bit me and ran out of the kitchen. I blushed at the thought of my marriage with Mr Jinnaat. Ya Allah, bless me .

I climbed upstairs and was going to my room when I saw the guest room door open. The room was dark so I peeked inside and saw Ayan facing the wall. He had been teasing and pestering me to marry Ahan while we were in the backyard catching fireflies. I thought about telling him regarding my decision so I stepped inside and cleared my throat.

"Hey bro, wanna hear something good?" I asked and he stilled. I waited for him to turn to me but he didn't so I decided to continue. "Since you have pestered me so much to marry your brother, I guess I should tell you this."

"Look...," I started, ready to announce my decision, "I know your brother is a total weirdo and can't do romance and stuff but I can't ignore his good qualities. I mean it's not like I am head over heels for him but yeah, he seems like a good guy. Now, if he proves to be a jerk in future, then I'm sure I won't think twice before breaking his bones. Therefore, you can tell him I'm ready for the marriage."

"Well thank you, my lady. I promise you won't regret your decision," I heard him and immediately recognised the owner of the voice. It wasn't Ayan. Shit!! Did I just make a fool of myself in front of HIM. Oh my Allah! "And about that romance thing..." He spoke again as he turned to me and I swear I could hear my heartbeats, "I'll prove you wrong after marriage." His eyes held mirth and I found myself speechless under his gaze.

"I thought you were Ayan," I gathered some courage and spoke but my voice came out like a whimper.

"I'm not," He mused and took a step in my direction. I looked around and realised that we were alone so I straightened up.

"I think we should head downstairs, it's not right for us to be alone like this," I said and turned to leave.

"Yeah, for now, it isn't," I heard him before I ran down to where everyone was.

.

.

Ahan's PoV:

She said yes. SHE SAID YES! Alhamdulillah, she said yes. I can't wait to marry her and make her mine. I hope I'm not dreaming.

"Oho Bhai maze maze," Ayan's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Nope, not a dream. We were sitting in the hall, the bright smiles on everyone's faces told me that they had already been informed about Ashiya's decison. "I am telling you Mom, I'll get myself a designer tuxedo for Bhai's wedding. That's it."

"It's not your wedding," Mom scolded him, "besides, the dates haven't been fixed yet. We also have other things to take care of."

"As in?" Arhaan frowned.

"As in buying a new house for Ashiya and myself where we would stay after marriage," I answered and Ashiya turned her head to look at me.

"But why? Why can't we live with everyone else?" She asked like a baby.

"Because you guys need your privacy," Mom answered for me, "I know you two love us but you need your own time with each other. Besides, you won't be too far from us," she smiled at Ashiya and me. At first, I too didn't like the idea of living seperately from my family but Mom made me understand her point of view. She was right. Ashiya and I needed our privacy.

"I want to talk to Ahan," I heard Ashiya say and all heads turned to her. She was looking at her mother with her eyes lowered.

"About what?" Khala frowned.

"I have few questions for him. I want to discuss them," she looked up.

"What's the hurry? You can talk later now that you guys are going to get married," Khala tried to reason but Ashiya shook her head in negative.

"It's okay, Khala, we can talk in the lawn with you guys present at a distance such that you can see us," I suggested and Khala seemed to be in a thought for a second. She finally nodded and Ashiya and I walked out to the lawn with Mom and Khala behind us.