thirteen

AFTER GETTING A CHANGE OF clothes and throwing away the ones they were wearing prior to that, they walked around in hopes of coming up with some form of solution. Unfortunately they had come up with no solution and as they made their way to the carriage, Nyx couldn't help wince at the sight of Kaz, Inej and Jesper.

"You three dont seem to happy to be back." Jesper muses as he leans against the carriage and Nyx scrunches her nose up.

"We still can't figure a way across the Fold." Zoya says, crossing her arms over her chest. Kaz glances at Inej.

"We might have a solution. The only problem is, your General is here." Kaz announces and Nyx stiffens, glancing around as if he'd appear any minute now.

"We need to get away from him as soon as possible. At least us three. So if you have a solution, we better move now." Nyx says in slight panic.

"We heard one of his talking about a Skiff being prepared for when they find the sun summoner." Inej says and Nyx looks at her in confusion.

"Find the sun summoner? He already found her." Nyx points out and Inej shakes her head, making Nyx realise what they were implying. "She left? What happened?"

"No one knows. All we know is that the General is looking for her and you." Jesper points at Nyx, making her take a deep breath.

"He can't find me. So I hope you have any idea on how to get on that skiff." Nyx states firmly and they nod in understanding.

"All we need is a Squaller." Kaz says, making Zoya raise her hand.

"That's where I come in I believe." Zoya hums as she drops her hand back to her side.

"Let's go then. The faster we leave, the sooner we get there." Kaz says as he starts walking ahead and Nyx frowns, glancing at the carriage. She turns back around to follow the others, only to see they disappeared.

That's when she notices the shadows crawling on the floor. Her breath gets stuck at the back of her throat. She knows exactly what this means. Turns around, she's faced with the one person she most definitely didn't want to see now or ever again.

"What are you doing here Aleksander?" She breaths out as he walks up to her. He looks down at her clothes and frowns.

"Where is your Kefta?" He asks and she gives him a look.

"Does it matter? I don't want it anymore." She says firmly and she can see the pained look on his face at her words. He takes a deep breath and takes one more step closer.

"Why? Why did you leave?" He asks weakly and she takes a deep breath, looking at him in disbelief.

"Are serious right now? After everything you've done the past few months, you dare ask me why I left?" Nyx asks in disbelief, tears burning her eyes. "Why are you not chasing your sun summoner? Huh? I heard she ran away? So why me and not her? Or are you just trying to make me feel special and then once you get her, set me aside again?"

"No. Nyx, you're my dearest friend. I love-" She shakes her head, cutting him off. She didn't want to hear him say those words when he didn't mean them.

"Stop. You don't. You love the security and reassurance I bring, but not me." She cries out and he shakes his head denial.

"That's not true. It's you, always been you. Alina is nothing more than a scapegoat." He says firmly, determined to convince her.

"Stop lying to me. To yourself. She's more than that to you. And you're better off going after her." Nyx scoffs, shaking her head as she glances over her shoulder, before looking back up at him. "Go to her. Because, trust me, Aleksander. You'll soon come to regret everything you've ever done to me."

"Please don't leave me." He says barely above a whisper and she shakes her head.

"Goodbye, Aleksander." She says, not leaving space for him to say anything more. She turns around and walks away, not looking back for even a second. As she makes her way around the corner, she finds Ivan, Fedyor and a few other Grishas cornering the others. "Ivan, Fedyor. That's enough."

"Nyx!" Fedyor exclaims happily as he turns around and looks at her with a wide grin. "We missed you! Why did you just leave like that? Are you finally coming back?"

"The General needs you both." Nyx says with a nod and Fedyor frowns.

"Are you two fighting again?" Fedyor asks, making Nyx take a deep breath. "You two will figure something out, you always do."

"Not this time. Go back to the Little Palace." She says firmly and Ivan clenches his jaw before shoving past her, making her stumble back a little. She felt guilty. So many of her friends would have to pick sides, most of them staying loyal to Aleksander. Ivan was clearly angry, but more specifically disappointed. After all, she had betrayed the Darkling.

"No. I'm coming with you." Fedyor says firmly and she can sense Ivan stop in his steps behind her. She takes a deep breath, not having expected this.

"No. I'm sorry, but what's going to happen in the foreseeable future... it's better you don't get involved. Please." Nyx says softly. It pained her to having to say goodbye to him, one of her dearest friends. She smiles weakly before walking past her and towards the others, who were waiting for her.

"So that's it? You're leaving him? Us?" Fedyor calls after her and she stops in her steps. She knew from here on, if she continue this path, there was no turning back. But she wasn't planning to. Never. Not after all the pain he had made her go through. This, was a way to let herself say goodbye to her old life and begin her new one.

"Goodbye, Fedyor."