56

I heard different people talking. I let out a groan, trying to open my eyes. After a few attempts, I finally open them to see people leaning over me. I quickly closed them, trying to understand what was going on. A huge weight got placed on me or climbed up onto the bed. Tiny arms went around my neck.

"Emily, come on." I heard someone whisper. She shook her head, burying her face into my hair. I moved my arms so they were wrapped around her. My eyes were still closed. I didn't feel like opening them. I was so tired.

"Go back to sleep, Adds." Someone whispered, kissing my forehead. I gave back into the darkness.

--

I woke up for the second time, to feel someone moving the hair out of my face. I slowly opened my eyes to see Emily sitting beside me. It was dark out and no lights were on. I watched as Emily froze all movements, staring at me.

"Hey baby." I whispered. Tears welled up in her eyes. They soon escaped, making me frown. "Em, I'm okay." I whispered, slowly sitting up. I pulled her onto my lap, making sure she didn't sit on anything too painful. She buried her face into my chest, sobbing. I ran my fingers through her hair. I looked around, to see nobody was in here. They must've gone and got food.

After a few minutes, Emily slowly calmed down. She pulled back and stared at me.

"Can you do me a favor?" My voice was raspy. She nods. "Can you get me something to drink?" She nods, smiling. She got off the bed, walking over to the water dispenser. She grabbed a cup, filling it with water. She walked back over to me, handing it to me. "Thank you baby." I sat it down next to me, lifting her back up onto the bed.

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes. Me taking sips of water while Emily was playing with her stuffed animal. I looked at her.

"How are you?" She looked at me.

"I'm good." She whispers, smiling.

"Yeah?"

"I'm mad at you."

"Oh."

"You didn't bring me any ice cream home." My eyes widened.

"Oh my poor baby. What are we ever going to do? How about this, when mommy gets out of this hospital, we can go order a bunch of treats." She giggled. "LIke candy, ice cream, anything you can name."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I whispered, brushing the hair out of her face. A cast was on my one hand, making me look at it. I sighed, looking around. I looked back at her. "Where's grandpa and everybody?"

"Outside. They are talking." I nod.

"I missed you a bunch."

"Wanna color? I like to color when I'm sad." She whispers, getting off the bed.

She went over to a backpack, grabbing coloring books and pencils and some other stuff. I turned on the light next to me, getting used to it. I pulled a table that was used for food towards me. Emily got back onto the bed, sitting down next to me.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, making her look at me confused. "How was grandpa's?"

"It was fantastic but I missed you."

"Oh honey, I know. I will never let you go for that long for a long time." I whispered.

We sat in silence, coloring. A few minutes went by and the door opened up. Emily looked over but I was too lost in my thoughts to realize that we had company. Emily nudged me, making me look at her. She was staring over at the door, making me look. The family came in, staring at me. Dad rushed over, embracing me into a hug.