4 Business Trip

Chapter 4

The entire weekend, I've been riddled with guilt. Like a debilitating flu, haunting every move, thought, and cringe in Mother Earth.

There was a contemplation of confessing to Casey, but a part of me wasn't sorry enough to be genuine, and every time my conscience chastised me how I should, I just shook it off like a dog with wet fur.

One thing I did muster though, is the courage to at least knock on Lucas's office door on Monday.

"Lucas? Got a minute?" I ask, cracking the door open.

He's typing away, like an important politician, not even looking my way. "What's up Layla?"

I slowly step in, close the door behind me, press my back against it for support. "I wanted to apologize for Friday, at Casey's..." His suspicious eyes lock on mine, and he furrows his eyebrows when he notices my sincerity. "It was way out of line and inappropriate. And God forbid if the roles were reversed, it would be downright inexcusable. So...I'm sorry."

His lips twitch with a faint smile, but he quickly looks back at the computer screen. "It's fine, don't sweat it."

I focus on the hideous carpet design, burdened for not feeling relieved whatsoever. Suddenly Lucas gets up from his seat and strides towards me.

He sighs as he looks down at my timid expression, a soft amusement in his features. The quiet gesture offers a sliver of comfort, and I almost smile.

"Can you move out of the way?" He asks.

Never mind.

He smirks as I step to the side for him to open the door. "Take it easy, you're going to be on your own for a little while, you'll need the energy."

"What do you mean?" I frown, following him out.

"Oh, just that Grant asked me to go to New York." He gloats like a mean, high school bimbo, "I'm pitching to Ritz crackers."

"Excuse me?" I whisper, trying not to draw attention as he rushes down the hall. "You mean, my concepts? Why the hell are you pitching my concepts?"

"Because I'm more likeable than you?" He grins at my furious glare and opens Grant's door without even knocking. "I'm in! When am I leaving?"

Except Grant doesn't get to reply, because I'm already arguing. "Grant, what happened to kick off calls in the conference room? Why are we traveling? No, why is Lucas traveling with my ideas?"

My boss's initial smile slowly deflates, and he searches his executive room for a rescue, finding none. "Uhm, I made the call to send Lucas because of his experience with different personalities on set. And I can't send both of you, someone needs to stay to oversee the team."

"See?" Lucas raises his hands, "he's letting you lead the team, I'm just a seller boy!"

I shake my head, "no, that's not what's happening here. What's happening is that I'm being left behind from learning these types of high level interactions, which is exactly what a VP is supposed to do. How can I prove that I'm capable, if I'm doubted from the beginning?"

"Now, there's no need to turn this into a big deal. There will be many more opportunities, so let's just let Lucas go this time." Grant tries to reason with me, as if I'm a child who's jealous of her sibling.

"But there's less than two months left, we won't get any more branded campaigns until the fourth quarter! I know all the reasons why these concepts should be approved, Lucas executes them, but he's not the one behind research. How will he answer any of their questions?"