Chapter 24

Drake pulled me closer to him as we laid on my bed. I pressed my cheek against his chest and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Are you feeling better?" He asked me.

"Yeah," I told him, "We should really continue that conversation. I know you have to have questions."

"I have a few," he admitted, "Like how are you still alive?"

I got off of him and sat up. I raised my eyebrow and asked, "What do you mean?"

He propped himself up and leaned against the headboard. "You've been in all these different dimensions and it sounds like a lot of them were really dangerous. So how are you still alive?" He replied.

I shrugged and answered, "I just adapted. If I could, I would blend in and wouldn't do anything to draw attention to myself. If I couldn't do that, I would just outsmart them. I'm stronger, faster, and my brain works quicker than most humans'. It usually wasn't hard to get away."

"Usually? What happened when it wasn't?" He inquired.

"Chains happened. I'm strong but not that strong," I said.

"When did this all start?" He asked.

"When I was nineteen. I was packing for uni and the next thing I knew I was waking up in the middle of a cornfield," I told him.

His eyebrow raised and he questioned, "Uni?"

"It's school," I told him.

"Oh," he exclaimed, "Like for children?"

"Not really. Uni stands for university and its high level," I explained.

"What were you going to study?" He asked.

"I wasn't totally decided. I was stuck between genetics and botany," I answered. He got a confused look so I explained, "Genetics is what makes you... you. Botany is the study of plants and their properties."

He rubbed his forehead and said, "I'm not even going to act like I understand anything about either of those things."

I chuckled and replied, "I didn't expect you to."

He smiled at me then asked, "What was your original dimension like? What was your life like?"

My grin turned into a sad smile. My heart was shattered, and I had a hard time gathering the words I could use to express the happiness I had then. "I was happy. I had two parents who wanted and loved me. I was provided for and encouraged to chase my dreams. My family was something rare. We all genuinely loved and liked each other. We had family dinner each night and did family activities with each other simply because we wanted to. I loved every part of my life," I answered.

His smile widened and he remarked, "I think that's the most I've ever heard you speak at one time."

"I could stop if you want," I joked.

"I would never want that," he responded, "Your eyes light up when you talk... I like it."

"Men are going to be drawn to you," Mom told me as she set a plate piled with macaroni and cheese in front of me, "You need to start eating like the woman you are. So you don't scare them away."

I rolled my eyes and retorted, "I doubt my eating habits will influence them that much."

"She's right honey," Dad agreed with me as he walked into the kitchen. He loosened his tie and kissed Mom on the cheek. He then continued, "Men won't care that she eats like a five-year-old when they see that look in her eyes and that smile of hers. Our little girl is something special."