01.

UP IN FLAMES

CHAPTER ONE

        Everything was white.

        Pure, blinding white, and it was enough to make Olivia Ross cringe at the sight. The fluorescent lighting around her stung at her eyes, making them water, the girl blinking away the fog of sleep. Slowly she managed to prop herself up onto her shoulders, taking notice of the fact that she was warm. Not only that, but the surface beneath her is plush and comfortable.

        Everything in her body ached, Liv letting out a soft groan as she realized just how sore her body was. It was then when everything that had happened rushed back to her like a movie playing inside of her brain. Vividly, she remembered the war that commenced against the grounders, the way they had to leave Bellamy and Finn to fend for themselves against the explosion, and the mysterious red gas that seemed to knock her out.

        Actually, that was the last thing she remembered before everything went black.

        The sky girl quickly shot up, a gasp escaping her lips as her swiveled back and forth in confusion. She was in a room, the walls painted a bright white. An IV was placed beside her, Liv's gaze following down the tube to see it connected in her wrist. Whatever inside of it pouring into her bloodstream.

        Biting down on her lip harshly, blood pooling from the wound she created, she ripped the IV out of her arm, it sending a painful sting before slowly fading away. Blood slowly dotted her wrist, Liv wiping it away with her other hand before tossing the IV to her side. 

        Slowly, she crawled out of the pure white bed she was asleep in, glancing around her. On the wall hung a brightly colored painting of people crowding around a lake, all of it dotted so she was unable to decipher their expressions.

        Where the hell was she?

        In front of her, though, was a door, a small, circular window being the only thing that allowed her to peer outside. Above it hung a black, circular camera, the people on the other side watching her each and every motion.

        She felt her feet begin to work before her brain, her hands curling around the metal surrounding the window as she peered out. Everything was eerily silent, causing goosebumps to run along Liv's arms. 

        It was then, though, when she jumped back, the room across from her revealing a face.

        Harper. 

        Liv's eyes widened, a panicked look on Harper's face. 

        Liv's fist slammed against the window, her throat seeming to rip due to how dry it was as she exclaimed, "Harper? Harper!"

        She watched as someone in a blue, quarantine suit walked along the sterile hallway, a set of keys jingling in their hand as they unlocked Harper's door. Harper let out a scream of panic, the person taking hold of her wrist and leading her down the hallway.

        Liv felt her heart hammer violently against her rib cage, panic overwhelming her.

        "Hey!" she screamed, unable to get out of the room. Her hands curled around the door knob, jiggling at it feverishly in an attempt to get out. "Harper!"

        Liv's face immediately darkened, the brunette looking up to see the black camera directly above her. Without thinking over her actions, her hand curled into a fist before slamming into it, shards of glass stabbing into her skin, sticky, warm blood coating her hand and beginning to run along her arm. She didn't care about the pain searing down her arm, she just needed to get the hell out of wherever she is.