Chapter 41

I tapped my fingers against my thigh excitedly, grinning as I glanced out the window to my city. New York was still has beautiful as ever.

"Turn here." I reminded the Taxi driver.

He nodded, spinning the wheel and turning into the designated street. A gate blocked our entrance. "Do you know the code?"

"Pound, 441." I replied, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

I watched him lean out the window, type in the number, and the gates swinging open on command. As he drove through with reckless speed that could only be seen in the City, he hit the breaks.

"Fifty-six, twenty nine." He said, his accent thick.

I handed him my credit card, recently given to me by David, and smiled as he returned it to me. "Thanks."

He grunted in reply and I lifted my suitcase out of the car. I watched the Taxi drive through the exit entrance, and breathed in the warming air around me.

I noticed the bare trees around, and the clouds grey with impending rain.

Arms suddenly wrapped around me from behind, and I jumped in fright. A head nuzzled into my neck, and I smiled as I caught a whiff of his scent.

"Nathaniel." I sighed happily.

I turned around in his grasp, and looked into the green eyes which shone with a mixture of happiness, yet boyish excitement.

"Hello, beautiful." He grinned. It was one of those rare moments when I oversaw him without a beanie tucked over his head. His brown hair still stuck up in a sexy angle, and wore a long-sleeve white shirt with dark wash jeans.

"Hi." I breathed a reply, not concentrating on words but trying to fathom how this beautiful creature in front of me belonged to none other than myself.

Nathaniel lightly chuckled, as he caressed my cheek with his thumb. He threw an arm over my shoulder, using his other arm to rub my arm. "Let's get you inside."

I nodded eagerly. We walked to her apartment, talking in easy conversation.

We were steps away, when suddenly the door flew open and slammed against the inside wall. Lavender stepped out, her arms crossed.

Nathaniel obediently lifted his arm from my shoulders, and let Lavender fly herself on me. I laughed, hugging her back.

"I can't believe you left me for that long! I was stuck with this one." She mumbled into my shoulder, sticking her tongue at Nathaniel.

I grinned, winking at Nathaniel and sarcastically said, "Oh, how horrible."

"That's what I said." He mused, disappearing into the house with my suitcase.

She stepped back, walking into the apartment. "Now, I need to here all the details of your first prison experience."

"Ah. Right.."

Lavender nodded, shutting the door. I glanced around.

The same things were still in check. The wide hallway, to the kitchen, the living room which connected to another hallway and bedrooms.

But one thing was sure. Streamers, and a cookie cake decorated the kitchen.

"What's this?" I asked, peering at the cake's inscription.

It read: Welcome Back!

"Nathaniel insisted." Lavender rolled her eyes.

"It was your idea." He came into the room, shoving her shoulder lightly as he passed to stand next to me.