Kittens & Kisses

"Harryyyyyy..." Draco whined as Harry pulled his boyfriend off the bed.

"Come on!" Harry said excitedly as he rushed to pull on his trousers, accidentally slipping both legs into one hole.

He wobbled precariously as Draco simply glared at him, his hair standing in all places as he sat in his boxer shorts on the floor, refusing to move.

"I know you're excited Dracoooo..." Harry teased as he slipped on his shirt. "Hurry up or I'm leaving without you."

"Ughhhh," Draco groaned as he stumbled into the bathroom, earning a small laugh from Harry.

Today, he and Draco were going to a kitten shelter. Harry desperately wanted to adopt a kitten now that he and Draco had been living together for a few months. It was time for a new addition to their little family.

Harry smiled to himself as he listened to Draco's grumbling from the bathroom. Draco wasn't too impressed with the idea of getting a pet, but Harry had managed to convince him to look at some cats. Besides, Harry thought, as he combed through his dark mop of hair, he knew Draco would fall in love with at least one.

"Hurry up, Draco! It's time to go!"

--

The two arrived at the shelter, hand in hand. Draco had warmed up a little to the idea of getting a pet during the journey. Not much harm in it, he supposed. And anyway, he loved seeing the excitement lighting up Harry's face at the idea of looking at the kittens. He knew how much Harry loved animals. And if Harry was happy, then Draco was over the moon.

Harry rushed forward to the entrance, hopping excitedly from foot to foot, unable to contain his energy as he spoke briefly to the receptionist.

Draco shook his head but chuckled. This boy was like an excited puppy. How was Draco supposed to cope with a puppy and a kitten?!

Making his way into the shelter, Draco joined Harry as they began to walk down the isles, looking at the rows of cats and kittens.

"Look at this one!" Harry said, squeezing Draco's hand as he pulled him over to one of the cages. A small, black kitten was staring up at him cautiously. "She's called Midnight." Harry's mouth fell open slightly in awe.

Draco smiled at Harry. "I suppose you're wanting this one then, huh?"

"I'm in love with her!" Harry cried as he reached his fingers through the small bars. Draco watched and bit a smile back as the kitten cautiously sniffed Harry's fingers and began to lick them. Harry gasped and let out a giggle.

"I want her, Draco! Can we get her, please?" Harry's eyes were as big as the cats'. Why did he have to look so adorable all the time? Gah! It was frustrating! Draco could never say no to Harry. It was impossible.

Draco rolled his eyes and sighed, a large grin unable to leave his face as he watched Harry trying to give the small kitten kisses through the bars. "Fine! As long as you look after it." He replied, defeated at the puppy-dog eyes Harry gave him. There he went, being a puppy again. He had to admit, the kitten was pretty cute.

"Yes!" Harry pumped the air and rushed over to the receptionist to ask if he could take the kitten out of her cage.

Draco waited patiently, looking at the other cages filled with all sorts of different kinds of cats. As much convincing as it had taken Draco for him to come here, he was glad he had. He was happy they were re-homing a little animal.

Just as he was about to turn to join Harry, a soft mew caught his attention from the end of the isle.

Furrowing his brow, Draco cautiously walked to the last cage. He gasped as beautiful sea-blue eyes stared up at him hopefully through the small bars. A lovely, all-white cat was looking at him, almost smiling, Draco thought. He looked at the information attached to the cage:

Name: Barney
Age: 9
Sex: Male
Homed at shelter for: 4 years
Info: Barney was abandoned by his previous owners - he is looking for a new, forever home to live out the rest of his life. He is hoping someone special will be there to give him that.

Draco hadn't realised he was crying until hit tears spilled onto his new shirt. Dammit! This was my favourite shirt.

"Draco?" Harry's voice sounded from behind him and he whipped around, furiously drying his tears. Harry was holding Midnight carefully, and his eyes widened as he saw Draco.

"Draco, what's wrong?" Harry asked worriedly.

"It's... it's..." Draco trailed off, his lip quivering, and gestured towards Barney's information sheet.

Harry quickly scanned his eyes over it and realisation flooded over him. He took a deep breath and tried desperately to stifle the laugh that was extremely close to breaking through his lips.

"It's not funny, Harry!" Draco said, looking at his boyfriend incredulously. "This cat must feel so sad in there all alone!"

"I know, Draco," Harry pressed his lips together in order to stop himself from giggling. "I just didn't know you cared."

"It... It reminded me of you.." Draco explained softly, looking at Barney sadly. He pushed his fingers through the bars, trying to reach the cat. "He looks so sad."

Harry looked at Draco as the words tugged on his heartstrings.

"Well... we could always get two," Harry shrugged. He'd always wanted more than one cat.

"Really?" Draco looked at him hopefully, and Harry had never seen such innocence in his boyfriend's eyes. It was adorable.

"Yes, Draco. One for me and one for you. Our little family." Harry came over and wrapped an arm around Draco's waist, still clutching Midnight tightly.

"Thank you, Harry," Draco whispered softly to him. "I love you." He kissed Harry tenderly.

"I love you more." Harry kissed back, then gave Draco a peck on the forehead.

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed and laughed. "Barney looks just like you!"

"Shut it Potter," Draco retorted half-heartedly as the receptionist came over to unlock the cage.

Barney was placed carefully in Draco's arms, and the cat looked up at Draco lovingly. Harry noted that Draco looked the exact same.

"Draco, are you... Are you crying?" Harry asked as Draco used the cat's head to dry his eyes.

"What, no, of course not." He said with pursed lips, clinging to Barney tightly.

"Mhmmm.." Harry smiled inwardly as he turned towards the exit with Midnight, Draco and Barney in tow. This really was the best idea Harry ever had.