Chapter Thirty

Location: Beverly Hills, California
Date: May 6th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-four

Even the sun was brighter in California.

Eleanor looked away from the skylight and turned to Dale. He was more handsome in California. Everything was better.

"Can we go to the beach today?" She asked while picking at her food.

Clark ran into the dining room and licked her leg. "Hi, buddy!" She cooed at the sweet dog.

Dale stood up and took her plate. "Actually, Patrick and his family are coming over in a little while."

"Ooh! I can't wait to see them," Eleanor hummed cheerfully and drank the rest of her orange juice. "Maybe we can go to the beach with them," She suggested, but Dale was way ahead of her.

He had given Isla special instructions for the day and he knew that Eleanor would be ecstatic with his plan.

"That's a good idea, princess. It's a beautiful day," He played coy and kissed her cheek. "I love you," He winked and walked to the kitchen to put away their dishes.

Eleanor tried to hide her smile as she got up and walked to the living room.

Clark ran after her and jumped on the couch. "Are you excited to meet some new people? You're gonna love them," Eleanor rubbed his head and put him on her lap.

The doorbell rang and Clark jumped off the couch and ran to the door.

"I'll get it, princess," Dale announced as he walked to the front door.

"Uncle Stephen! Where's Aunt Eleanor? I missed her so much!" Fox ran inside of the house and Clark followed him.

Eleanor got off the couch and met Fox with a hug. "Hi, buddy! You grew!" She cooed at the little boy, who blushed and kissed her cheek.

Elm walked into the living room and sat next to Clark. "Is this your doggie? He's really cute! Just like you, Aunt Eleanor." Elm said with a smile. Clark licked his face and Eleanor giggled at his sweetness. Patrick's boys were so cute.

"Oh, you look so beautiful, Eleanor! I know it's so early, but would you like to go shopping?" Isla asked as she walked into the living room.

Eleanor was surprised by the offer, but it did sound fun. "Thank you, Isla! I'd like that," She said with a gentle smile. "I'll grab my purse and I'll be right back,"

"Is everything in order, Stephen?" Patrick asked once Eleanor was upstairs.

Dale nodded. "I've got to pick up the marriage license and my suit, but the rest is done." He turned to Isla and handed her two checks. "Eleanor won't want to spend any money, she's sweet that way. Don't let her sway you," He said firmly. "If she likes it, it's hers."

Isla saluted him jokingly and put the checks in her purse. "Don't worry, Stephen. Spending money is my favorite hobby, ask Patrick," She winked at Patrick and gently patted Dale's shoulder.

"Mommy says that money is like cheese!" Fox explained to Dale with his eyebrows furrowed. "You can never have too much!" He finished and giggled as if he were the funniest person in the world.

Isla kissed his cheek and laughed. "I did say that."

"What did you say?" Eleanor asked while walking down the stairs.

Dale looked at her and swiped his brow. Eleanor had quickly changed into a pink sundress and she was a vision. He met her at the bottom of the staircase and took her hand. "My goodness, Norah. I don't think I want you to leave," He said seriously and kissed her hand.