Chapter 6; Stubborn Creatures

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Dream placed his hand on Tommy's chest while the boy was on his way down the steps. Hopping down each one quickly before being abruptly stopped.

Did he do something wrong?

Tommy had fear in his eyes as he looked from Dream's hand up to the mask covering his face.

"Put these on, before you get your feet wet again. No frostbite today," Dream shoved a pair of leather boots at Tommy and the teen lit up. A gift? He was pleasantly taken aback and took them into his hands slowly, not sure how to feel.

Why was Dream being so nice?

First breakfast, and now this?

Tommy felt strange about it. As though something bad may happen if Dream did any more nice things for him.

"You're welcome," Dream said and Tommy looked up from the shoes, hurrying to tug them on after he kicked off his ragged one. He left it to land in the snow to the side of the house forgotten.

"Th-thank you," Tommy told him, then heading down the steps the rest of the way. He stood in front of Dream and without being prompted, he held out his wrists so the man could tie them up again. Dream simply put his hand out in response, stopping Tommy's gesture.

"I trust you'll be obedient today," Dream told him. Tommy gave a grimace at the word, his old self rearing it's head.

"Obedient?" Tommy grumbled annoyedly. He dropped his hands to his sides and followed close behind Dream as the man turned his back to the teen.

"Is that a no then?" Dream questioned. Looking back at Tommy, he cocked his head at the response.

"No, no! I mean, yes... I mean... no, I'll listen, Dream," Tommy nodded firmly.

"Good," Dream told him. The man slowed and Tommy flinched when Dream reached toward him. He hadn't expected for Dream to place his hand on his head and gently ruffle his hair in a playful manner.

Tommy hadn't done anything wrong then.

That was a relief.

The trek through the snow was a dreadful one, but doable and luckily they hit a warmer climate by midday. Tommy begun complaining about his feet and being hungry nearly halfway through the trip and groaned about it incessantly. He was told off by Dream a few times, telling him to shut up and stop complaining. A few more hours in though and Dream gave in and they finally stopped to eat. Nothing special, just dried meats and some apples to hold them over. It was better than nothing though and as before, Tommy eagerly inhaled the snack.

Tommy had asked where exactly they were going at one point. He tried to pay attention to landmarks but he was never very good at navigating through the wilderness. If exile taught him anything, it was that he was incredibly talented at getting turned around.

"You'll see," Dream had told him. He was being annoyingly secretive. It's not as though Tommy wouldn't figure it out by the end of the day anyway.

"Tommy," Dream said. He slowed to a stop and the boy having spaced out ran into his extended arm that'd been placed in front of Tommy for the purpose of stopping him. He nearly fell back but luckily hadn't been walking fast enough to.

"What?" Tommy asked annoyedly. He didn't appreciate nearly being knocked down by the mans seemingly abrupt stop.

"Stay here. I'm gonna grab one of these horses," Dream told him, placing his trust in Tommy that the boy wouldn't try and run off while he was away. Not that Tommy had anywhere to go, and he should know already that if he even attempted, then Dream would just kill him. That or beat the shit out of him.