3

"Simon, what are you doing?" Clary was shouting and chasing after Simon Lewis through the Ops Center that morning. I was walking through eating an orange, dressed in a shirt that was way too big for me and my hair was a mess on my head. I was tired— I could never escape the restless nights. They were always worst when I got disciplined— I have to stop screwing up.

Simon walked past me and made a beeline for the entrance of the Institute— the speed he was going blew a cold breeze against my bare legs. "I already told Isabelle, they can't keep me prisoner here."

"Prisoner?" I repeated while I popped another piece of the orange in my mouth. "What, did they tied you up to a chair and interrogate you too? Their hospitality is horrible, right?"

"Simon!" Clary ran past me and stopped him a foot away from me. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going home, Clary— and if you haven't already completely drunk their Kool-Aid, then you're coming with me." Simon lowered his voice. "It's not safe here."

I blinked. "You're kidding, right?"

"He must be." Jace entered the hall and blocked Simon's path a few feet away. "Because— this is the safest place she could possibly be."

Simon shot him a glare, pointing at him. "You don't get to talk to me, Captain America."

"Who's Captain America?" I asked, slowly walking over to Jace's side and looking at Simon.

Jace shrugged and looks at Simon. "Considering I'm the guy with the weapons, I get to say what I want."

"Okay, come at me, bro!" Simon hit his fists to his chest and walked towards Jace and I. I reached my hand up and shoved him back easily, then went back to my orange, popping another piece into my mouth.

Jace snorted while Clary blocked Simon's path. "Hey, what is your problem?"

"He's my problem!" Simon raised his voice. "He's just like Kirk Duplesse from high school. Do you remember him? Total jerk with the square jaw—smelled like body spray, always bullying people. Why don't you do your own homework? Just once, yeah?"

I raised my eyebrows once. "Grow up."

"I can take care of myself." Simon said in a low voice and then circled around Jace and I, heading for the doors. Clary looked between us for assistance, a pleasing look on her face.

"I'm not saving his ass a second time." I shrugged and looked back down at my orange, hearing Jace let out a hum in agreement and pound his fist against mine. I felt a pang of warmth in my chest— familiarity hitting me like a truck.

"Really?" Clary huffed and ran around me, rushing after Simon. "Simon! You were kidnapped by vampires, okay— you of all people should know how dangerous it is out there."

Simon kept walking. "I'll be fine."

"No— you won't, mundie." I commented.

"Hey, you're not the only one who's in danger." Clary continued. "If you go home right now, you're putting your mother, and your sister, and even Maureen at risk— think about them."

Simon argues. "I am thinking about them."

"Are you?" Clary raised her voice.

"Yeah." Simon shot back at her sharply. "Because if everything you've said about the Shadow World's true, they're already in danger, and I need to be home to protect them."

"You're going to protect them?" I snorted and popped another piece of my orange into my mouth. "With what?"

"I can handle myself!" Simon shot me a weary look and then tried to persuade Clary. "Come with me. We can crash at my place— we can figure all this out."