22

Clay's POV

Wilbur stood facing Clay and George, a victorious smile on his face. His battered clothes were dirty and littered with the settling dust and ash that was raining from the sky.

People were still screaming and crying throughout the gardens. Traces of blood were found on every corner. The plants that once hung above the gardens were now destroyed and flat on the ground, their vases shattered.

In his hand, was a long, curved sword. He took a bold step forward and lifted his arms, reveling in the chaos and destruction.

He turned to face the flag behind him, one of many Emberfall flags seen throughout the city. Wilbur grinned cruelly and slashed his sword through the flag, slicing a large gash on the colored fabric.

"I guess I'm the bad guy now." Wilbur said as he turned back around.

Wilbur laughed in hysteria, "All this time and you never even suspected a thing! How blind are you?!" He scoffed, "Too caught up in each other to give me the time of day."

Clay's lips thinned. Wilbur had a point. Clay and George had shoved him to the side time and time again.

"Well it worked out for me!" Wilbur exclaimed with a laugh, "I could sneak around under your noses and no one ever noticed... until Bad..."

"What?" Clay asked, confused.

Wilbur sighed, "Quite a while ago, Bad caught me sneaking Emberfall's troop placements. I dismissed him, playing the power card... but I informed Nihachu. She took care of things from there."

Clay's hands fisted in anger. George bit out sharply, "You're a traitor."

"Well... obviously," Wilbur said with a disappointed sigh. "Honestly, I expected this from you, George, but Clay? I thought you were smarter than this."

Clay didn't respond. He scowled at Wilbur, George doing the same. Wilbur shook his head ruefully.

"Clay," Wilbur started, "I initially wanted you to join my cause, with L'manberg, against Emberfall. I remember how you used to despise the prince and his antics when you were a commander with Sapnap." When Clay stiffened, Wilbur smiled, the promise of danger in his eyes, "Sapnap..." He clicked his tongue, tasting the name on his lips, "...what a fun project."

"He isn't a project, you filthy piece of shit," Clay spat. "He's more than you'll ever be."

"After Nihachu was done with him, I had fun commuting with him," Wilbur continued, ignoring Clay's insult. "He was a very efficient informant. Got the job done without question."

"Stop talking about him like he's some machine you control," George snapped.

Wilbur frowned. "Fine, let's talk about something else then." Wilbur grinned, then, his eyes lighting up in devilish excitement, "I had a little help planning this..." He gestured to the ruin around them, "...this masterpiece. Don't think that you two were the only targets."

Clay's stomach dropped and he grit out, feelings of anger and dread mixing in his gut. "What do you mean? Who else could you possibly want to kill?"

"Hmm, think for a moment Clay. Use that pretty head of yours," Wilbur said with a smirk, making George stiffen. "Why would I want all this to happen?"

Clay thought for a moment, his brows furrowed. His jaw went slack as he realized, "You were never working for L'manberg, were you?"

Wilbur grinned in response, prompting Clay to continue, "You self-centered traitor! You wanted everything to yourself... you're using L'manberg for their resources."

"Ding ding ding!" Wilbur exclaimed hysterically, "I knew you were smart."

"So you just wanted the throne?" George asked, "You killed my father for this?!"

Wilbur frowned at George and decided to ignore him. He turned to Clay, saying, "Continue... I'm curious to see what else you figure out."

Clay grabbed George's hand. George was fuming from beside him, Wilbur's ignorance angering him. Wilbur scoffed at the motion and crossed his arms, still holding his sword in one hand.

"Nihachu and Eret were just pawns to you? Pawns to your sadistic plan to take over?" Clay's stomach churned as he realized, "Which means you don't have a need for them when they're locked up... conveniently waiting for you to make your move."

"Yep!" Wilbur nodded gleefully. "They're just sitting in the castle, practically wrapped with a bow for me... I wonder what would happen if..."

Clay paled. "The 'little bit of help' that you said you had..."

"No," George said in disbelief, "you wouldn't just kill them."

Wilbur shrugged. "Everything is going to plan... you have no idea how long I've waited for this."

"It doesn't matter," George said. "Your plan will never work."

"Well―"

"Wait," Clay interrupted Wilbur, "killing Nihachu and Eret doesn't give you the crown to Emberfall."

"I'll crown myself once I take over the useless Kinoko Kingdom with L'manberg forces." When Wilbur saw Clay's confused look he added, "I'll pin the blame on George for killing Nihachu and Eret, which would push them to my side. And since L'manberg has a larger army than Emberfall, I will use that to force Emberfall's army into submission."

"That'll never work," Clay said in disbelief.

"If you were to join my side it would." Wilbur said eagerly, "Join me against George. I welcome you at my side."

Clay scrunched his nose in disgust. "No way in hell would I join you."

George relaxed slightly from beside Clay. Clay gave him a confused look. He would never even think of going against George... Did George doubt that?

Wilbur laughed. "Are you sure about that Clay?"

"Absolutely," Clay said with a resolute nod.

"Well, if you ever change your mind..." Wilbur trailed off with a smirk.

Clay scoffed in distaste. Wilbur looked at the setting sun and smiled. He sighed and lifted his sword.

"Now... to do what I came here to do," Wilbur said as he started walking forward, aiming for George.

Clay looked around frantically and found a dirty rod sticking out from under a pile of debris. He swiftly grabbed it off the ground and spun around to face Wilbur.

Wilbur's sword clashed with Clay's rod as Clay stopped it from colliding with George. Clay grit his teeth and the motion of his movement pushed George out of the way.

Wilbur's eyes widened and Clay smiled grimly. "You can't beat me."

Wilbur, knowing this was true, stumbled back a few steps. He gasped as Clay used his dull rod to knock the sword out of his hands.

Wilbur held his hands in front of him, his mouth gaping and eyes wide in surprise and fear.

"You deserve death," Clay hissed, seething in anger, "but I know I'll have far more satisfaction seeing you rot in prison for the rest of your life."

And with that, Clay swung the metal rod down upon Wilbur's head, knocking him out cold.

------------

a/n - yayyy, epic KO by Dream

the story is coming to an end within a few chapters :)
I hope you guys are enjoying it!!

ILY!!!! <3