Chapter 1: The Decision

Note:

giagia (pronounced as Yaya) - Greek for grandma

papou - Greek for grandpa

"In the matters of your life, don't take orders, take decisions." - Amit Kalantri

( Partially Edited )

....

Stavros' POV

Midtown Manhattan, New York, Stavros Headquarters

      Standing in front of my office's glass walls, with hands tucked in my trouser pockets, I was enjoying the beautiful, overlooking view of midtown Manhattan from the top floor, when my cell phone rang.

Pulling it out from my pocket, I connected it without bothering to look at the caller.

"Stavros speaking," with my eyes still trained on the tiny cars below, watching the bustling city under the glaring heat of the sun.

"Stav dear, it's giagia. I was wondering what my dear grandson has been doing? Or when do you plan to visit us? We all miss you terribly, Stavros. Your dad is too busy with his real estate company and, as you know, he does not get along with your papou. By the way, your papou needs to see you soon," giagia spouted unceremoniously.

Ignoring her rants, I spoke sweetly. "How are you and papou doing, giagia?" I asked, brushing off her disappointed tone.

"We are fine, for now." Stressing the last word. "We are getting older and weaker each day, Stavros. Theodore has been in and out of the hospital lately. We really need to go on a good, long vacation without being interrupted by business phone calls," giagia started again.

I knew it was the wrong question to throw out, and I already have an idea of where this topic leads to.

She's been complaining lately about wanting to go on a grand vacation with my grandpa, without him on the phone, while sitting under a palm tree or on the deck of their yacht, cruising the island.

I felt a tad guilty, really.

I know she's been trying to support and understand my grandfather, but grandpa is already at the right age to retire. Hence, why they have been bugging me to run the family business my grandfather and uncle have established, knowing I have built a very successful shipping company on my own.

I guess it's time to finally take responsibility for the family business.

It shouldn't be hard. Papou had been relying mostly upon his Vice Presidents, and his counselors. And so far, the company is thriving well.

"Very well then, giagia," I agreed acquiescently. "I will arrange my flight tonight."

I heard her squeals softly as I continued, my lips broke into a smile.

"I'll fly right after I wrapped up all these pending contracts, and I will see you both soon." I groaned mentally as that promise left my lips, with a force cheery tone I could muster.

I guess this is a good way to loosen a bit.

When was the last time I visited my home country?

Two years?

Three years?

I have no idea.

"Oh please, don't sound like you're being forced!" She chided, her tone a little brittle, however, her sweetness always shines through.

She knew me very well, and I couldn't help but smile. She practically raised me with papou.