11 || fresh air

alexa, play angel on fire by halsey

DAY 11

        "James." 

        Amelia waited patiently as James set the two weights down on the floor that he had been working out with, before turning to face her and Steve, with a look of confusion forming on his face. They had decided to keep her treatment plan between the two of them in an attempt to surprise Bucky. Amelia was especially eager to see what kind of reaction that would arise from him - he had been stuck in these corridors for four months. 

        "Hey, Buck," Steve greeted with a half-smile. 

        James' blue eyes flickered between her and Steve, his mind contemplating whether or not their presence together was a good or bad thing. Flexing his metal fingers, he breathlessly said, "What's this about?" 

        "Get dressed," Amelia demanded in a whimsical tone, not even bothering to hide her excitement any longer. 

        "For?" 

        Steve was stunned that Buck wasn't throwing f-bombs all over the place or yelling at them already. He watched with fascination as Bucky pulled his sweaty mess of hair back into a low bun as he awaited a response. No heavy breathing, no snide remarks, no throwing anything. 

        "We are going to go get some fresh air," Amelia informed with a smile tugging at the corners of her lips as she messed with the sleeves of her knit, green cardigan. 

         "Outside?" James asked incredulously. 

        James hadn't been outside in one-hundred and twenty-one days. Instead, he stayed down in the corridors - the windows weren't even capable of being opened. It was a safety protocol that was put in place to insure that he wouldn't escape or try to flee. What did fresh air even feel like again? 

        "No, in the basement," she quipped sarcastically, the smile fighting through her attempts at keeping a neutral facial expression, as she pursed her lips. "Yes, outside. Only for an hour, but I figured you needed to touch some grass or something." 

        Steve observed James chuckle lowly at Amelia's joke in disbelief, struggling to compose his bewilderment. In four months, since they brought Buck into the headquarters, Steve hadn't seen him smile, laugh, or even remotely look content. To see Bucky reflect some type of normalcy made his eyes water - there was a chance to have his best friend back.