THIRTY

"Caroline?" Violet knocks on the door of the Forbes household, "Are you home?"

"Violet." Caroline greets as she opens the door, "Good to see you."

"Hey, so um, do you wanna come to my house and have a game night with Elsie and I?" Violet asks, nervously tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Sure!" Caroline smiles, "Let me go get dressed, I'll be out in a second." She disappears inside and returns a few minutes later wearing a casual dress.

*

"And Uno!" Elsie grins triumphantly, slamming down her last card onto the table. "I win!" She announces, a grin across her face.

Violet looks down at her cards, then up at Elsie, a frazzled look on her face. "I don't understand this."

"Oh my goodness, Grandma," Elsie teases, "This game is easy."

"Board games were better when I was your age."

"Okay now you're really sounding like a grandma." Caroline snickers

"Excuse me," Violet shakes her head, feigning shock, "Are you two ganging up on me?"

"Mmm," Caroline turns to Elsie, "Are we?"

"Yes." Elsie answers with a grin, "Definitely."

"Well I am very offended by this outrageous behaviour. And for your information I am much older than your grandmothers."

"Sorry grandma."

"Elsie, you little shit." Violet's words are light, and teasing, but Elsie's face drops. She immediately drops the stack of cards she was in the middle of putting away and puts her hands over her face in a protective stance.

"Elise?" Violet questions softly, placing a gentle hand on her arm, "Are you okay?"

"I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologise for, love. It's okay, you're okay." Violet assures softly, "It's okay."

Elsie stays in her frozen state for a couple minutes, until she eventually melts into Violet's touch. She's unusually silent as she buries her head in the crook of Violet's neck.

Violet holds onto her, rubbing circles onto her back as she exchanges a worried and somewhat confused look with Caroline.

After another few minutes, Elsie sits back up, looking at Violet with tired eyes. "I'm going to bed." She announces, leaving the room with no further explanation.

"Goodnight!" Violet calls out, but she's not even sure Elsie heard her.

"What was that all about?" Caroline asks, a worried frown on her face.

"I don't know." Violet shakes her head, "Although I think it might have something to do with her childhood."

"Do you know what happened to her? Or still nothing?" Caroline asks moving over to sit next to Violet, leaning her head on her shoulder.

"Nope." Violet shakes her head, "I searched everywhere. Hospital records, the house, police records. I even asked the neighbours. None of them even knew Elsie existed. I checked with her school, and her attendance was below 10%. But I couldn't find any information on what he did to her." Violet's voice shakes as tears of anger fills her eyes. The fact that Elsie is hurting so much and Violet can't do anything about it is killing her.

"She'll open up when she's ready. Or not. It's up to her." Caroline says, curling up more into Violet's side.

"Yeah, I know. I just wish I could help."

"But you did help. You took her out of the situation and gave her an actual home that she is safe in." Caroline points out

"Yeah, I guess."

"I love you."

"I love you too." Violet gives her a small smile, still in deep thought. "She reminds me of someone I couldn't save. Someone who went through something similar."

"Who?"

"My sister. Both of them, actually. Their father, my stepdad, despised all three of us. He was a pretty typical man from those times, and the fact that none of us were boys angered him. I wish I could've done more."

"It's not your fault, you did the best you could."

Violet shrugs, standing up and walking over and up the stairs. Story time is over. "I'm going to check on Elsie. I'll be back."

"Okay." Caroline nods.

Elsie is asleep when Violet opens the door, a peaceful look on her face. Violet smiles softly, shutting the door again and leaving.

"I'm super tired, so I'm going to bed. You're welcome to stay if you would like."

"Yes please."

{okay no one kill me i know i haven't updated in ages and i know this is short and boring with no real plot.
but short chapter is better then no chapter surely?
anyways lol updates should probably more consistent now, i think i've finally managed to stop writers block from kicking my ass.

also if this chapter doesn't make sense it's cause i've written most of it whilst half asleep so just accept it lols <3 }