10. Celebration

"Is Alexei running late?" I asked.

"No. The Alpha placed him elsewhere for now." Jamison informed me as he stood from his perch on a log slab.

I felt a little guilty for feeling relieved. I wasn't sure if I was ready to see him so soon. The Alpha may have just saved Alexei's ass.

"Oh. So, it's just us?"

Jamison paused, "Yes. It's just us. Who were you expecting to be here? The Grinch?"

"You know who that is?" I couldn't hide the surprise in my voice even if someone notched an arrow to my forehead and challenged me not to sound so fascinated.

"You know what? Let's make this a silent search party. No talking unless you spot, hear, smell or sense something of interest." Jamison took a few long strides forward, leaving me a few paces behind. I wasn't even the slightest offended.

Jamison was an acquired taste.

When I first met him, he'd been somewhat of a pretty face in an Elite Syndicate combat suit. When he opened his mouth, my lady boner had instantly receded into non-existence. It wasn't by any means one of my finer moments in life.

We walked along the border in mutual silence, taking in our surroundings cast in nothing but muted light. Jamison had stopped a few times, investigating the ground we treaded on. He had a tablet of some sort that he strapped to the side of his body, secured by what appeared to be a strong magnet that had been carefully mended into the E.S suit he wore. His gloved fingers flew across the screen before he snapped a few photos that sent off a series of flashes.

I went a little further, noting nothing of importance.

There were statistics and reports in the Alpha's office that supported the idea that the red-eyed changelings were sighted more during the full moon. New reports suggested more were up near the mountains but there were too many gaps to draw a sensible conclusion between the full moon and the mountains in regard to the changelings.

In the distance, faint laughter drifted through the breeze.

"We have a long night ahead of us." Jamison slipped his device away to the side of his suit where it clicked into place. "Celebrations will most likely carry on until early light. We might have a few drunk pups wondering far."

"So we're playing babysitter on the side?"

"I don't babysit."

"What you said before says otherwise."

"All we need to do is make sure no idiot comes stumbling too far. Whether they make a fool out of themselves, that's entirely up to them. We'll split here. You go right and I'll resume left. We'll reconvene in an hour. If something happens before then, let me know using this." Jamison held out an orange tube with a red wick flowing from the hilt. "It's a small spark. It's soundless but bright."

I tucked the object away into my sleeve and nodded. "I'll see you in an hour then."

"Don't die. I rather not drag a dead body to the Alpha and state your reason of death was stupidity."

"Bravery. You mispronounced bravery. If I were to die it would be from that but heartfelt words Jamison. You know how to impress a lady." I strode off. I heard Jamison's steps fade into silence until I could only hear my own feet splitting leaves beneath my boots.

The full moon was obscured by thick, colourless clouds that dimmed its natural glow.

The further I drifted, the more sombre it felt.