12 | moving forward

Jean whistled for what seemed like the hundredth time as he waited for Psyche to come back. After escaping the Female Titan, the four of them ended up stranded in a random place, the few trees surrounding the area thankfully concealing them. Still, they couldn't afford to stay here any longer, not when they were outside the Walls, without any form of protection against the Titans.

At the worst, we'll have to leave someone here. He glanced at his comrades, all who were resting and busy doing their own things. But how will we decide who that person is going to be?

He looked at Armin, who was siting quietly with his hands on his lap as Reiner moved to wrap a bandage around his head. Armin, because he's hurt? Reiner, since he's big and would be hard to ride with?
Or should I go look for my own horse on foot?

He immediately shook his head, dismissing the thought. It was appalling how he actually dared to consider that, after everything they've been through. No, we're going to survive this together. We just need my horse to come back and then we'll be able to get moving.

Sighing, he decided to take a break from all the whistling, choosing to go and bother Taryn instead. He found the girl curled up against a tree, hugging her knees close to her and looking particularly distraught. He furrowed his brows, confused as to what she was upset about.

"Hey," He looked down at her figure. "Why do you look so down?"

Their eyes met briefly, before she looked away and turned her focus towards the ground, her chest rising and falling as a small sigh escaped her lips. "Eros is gone."

He almost snorted at her words, the cause of her predicament deeply amusing him. "You're upset about that?"

"Of course I'm upset, he's—well, he was my pet..." He felt her glare at him. "And you don't expect me to continue roaming around Titan territory without a horse, do you?"

"You can just ride with me," Rolling his eyes, he leaned against the tree next to her, crossing his arms as he sent her a look. "And you can always get a new one when we get home. Just name it Eros again and you won't even see a difference—"

"That might be okay for you, but not to me," She hastily got up on her feet, moving to stand next to the boy as she narrowed her eyes at him. "Honestly, I thought you out of all people would have a bit more sympathy for the horses."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He began to say, only to stop short once he saw a ghost of a smile on her lips. She had been teasing him, as always. Scoffing, he turned away, deciding not to give her the satisfaction of getting riled up. "I hate you."

"Sure you do." She replied, letting her back lean against the tree's surface. She felt his gaze on her as she rubbed her eyes, feeling the exhaustion come over her, the harsh pain in her torso starting to get stronger.

It hasn't even been that long since they left the district of Karanes and yet she already found herself wishing to go home, wanting nothing more than to be done with the expedition. It was a miracle she's even survived this far—she really didn't want to give the Titans another chance to kill her.

Jean frowned as he looked at her, noticing how the girl seemed to clutch her abdomen in pain. He had heard from Armin that the two of them got thrown off their horses because of that Female Titan, and combined with the fact that she basically catapulted to the ground just a few moments earlier, he concluded that she must've had a dislocated joint, or a broken bone at the most. Quirking up a brow, he turned to face her. "Are you alright?"