31.

Azzalea was so happy to be home. It was weird, but the minute they entered a certain area, it's like she knew they were getting close. She appreciated everything the Tribe and Briar did for her, but she was ready to be away from any sort of society again. She wanted to be back in her own little world of her, River and their baby. Other's made things complicated.

She could spot the stone that covered their cave and urged River to be sat down. Azzalea knew he worried about her greatly. Azzalea had noticed herself, her belly was starting to swell very quickly. She knew she wasn't exactly the tiniest girl out there, but she felt like the baby was making her huge.

Azzalea ran her hand over the moss covered rock. "Finally home." She whispered to herself.

River watched his mate touch the stone and whisper to it as if it was a live being. He smiled. She really does love it here. His grandfather had tried once again to get them to stay. Briar had carried their things across the rushing river while he made sure his precious mate stayed dry.

"River," the older male grumbled, "I know how you feel about the Tribe, but if you stayed..." Briar trailed off. He sensed the rejection he was about to get.

River shook his head and placed his hand on his grandfather's shoulder. "I thank you for everything Grandfather. I truly do, but you know where our home is. You should come."

Briar thought for a moment. He had nothing really holding him to the Tribe. The hut he lived in had been where he had taken his life mate, raised his child, gained a grandchild, lost his life mate, lost his daughter and now gained a great grandchild. The walls echoed hurt and he lived in it as punishment. He felt like he deserved it. "What would your mate say to such a thing?" He tentatively peeked around River to the female standing behind him.

She was smiling at him. "Whatever you want to do. I think it would be nice to have family around."

Family.

That word had always hit him differently. Briar didn't have lots of family like everyone else. His people had always just mated and had one child. Mated and had one child. Mated and had one child. For generations.

Family had so many different meanings, but it carried a heavy one for him.

"I will think about it." He kept his voice in check. It meant a lot to him that River asked. Briar looked back to cold water behind them. "I will start back now, but I have brought you gifts."

River waved his hand at him. "No need for that Grandfather. Your assistance was all that I needed."

Briar's laugh came from deep in his chest. It rumbled out of him. "I am a Grandfather, there is no use in telling me no." The older male set his bag on the ground and started pulling things out.

He pulled out a bag full of eggs. Briar had wrapped each one with the softest fur he could find so they wouldn't break. He brought out pounds of bacon that Azzalea seemed to love so much, potatoes, corn, beans, and some sort of sweet cake.

"This is something for the baby." Briar couldn't help but smile at the female. Her belly had started to show itself greatly in the past few days. It wouldn't be long before the youngling would show itself to the world.

Azzalea watched as he pulled this wooden contraption out from the bag. She looked with amazement as he started to unfold the whole thing. It was a wooden bassinet.

"Keep the baby in this. Don't let it sleep on the floor. It will catch it's death. Line the inside with the softest fur you have and keep it close to your nest, that way you can hear its cry." Briar pointed to the little slats. They stood about an inch away from each other, allowing it to be folded back up. "Once this is locked," he showed River how to do it, "it will not fall." He could sense the female becoming a little worried. "If it can hold a Giant for a year, ancestors know it will hold a halfling for probably two." He chuckled.