1.12

[1.12]

Unfortunate Events

The small fire was starting to dim, and the heat faded

The small fire was starting to dim, and the heat faded. However, Rae still stood by the small dull flames. Sleep wouldn't take over her mind. Different scenarios of what could happen the next day would play in her mind over and over again. She felt a familiar body slide against her down.

"Can't sleep?"

She shook her head before it fell on his shoulder. They stayed in silence for a few minutes before Iroh spoke again.

"My didn't you answer my telegram?"

Rae opened her eyes, "I never got a telegram..."

"I send it to the Police Station after the Arena attack..."

The woman sighed and took her head off his shoulder. "I didn't go to the Station after the attack and a few days later I... quit... in a rather dramatic manner..."

Iroh turned to look at her questionably. She signed again and her head fell, "I got arrested..."

The man's eyes widened before he let out a small laugh, "again?"

Rae scoffed, "Don't laugh! It's not funny!"

This only made Iroh laugh louder. "It is funny," he said, shaking his head with a smile, "I still remember the first time you got arrested. My grandfather was telling us at dinner how you got caught fighting a man from the Triads. Your mother wasn't in town and because the officers didn't know you yet, you had to stay in a cell for three days!"

Rae shook her head, "I'm happy Lord Zuko enjoys my suffering." But a smile grew on her face too when she saw her friend laughing.

When Iroh called down, he turned to face the woman, "How did you get out this time?"

"...my mother broke us out."

Iroh wanted to laugh, but when he saw the saddened expression on her face, his smile dropped.

"What if something happened to her?" asked Rae in a whisper, staring at the flames of the fire.

The man signed at put his arm around her shoulder. She leaned on him and closed her eyes again. They stayed like that until the fire died down and they fell asleep in each other's arms.

-

The next morning, everyone was preparing to leave. Bolin and Mako were talking further away from the group while Korra was standing next to Naga. Rae walked to the Avatar.

"Just for your information, I don't agree you going alone," she said, giving Korra a pointed look.

"I'm not alone," said the Avatar, "I have Mako."