1.13

[1.13]

A new beginning

The silence in the room was suffocating. Pain and sadness radiated from everybody as they waited for Katara to open the door. Sitting in between Lin and Iroh, Rae fidgeted with a red silk ribbon that she found in her pocket. When Katara slid open the door, everyone rose from their seats.

"I tried everything in my power, but I cannot restore Korra's bending."

Rae's eyes widened before she sat back down, her head in her hands. She felt Iroh place his hand on her shoulder and squeeze it.

"But you were the best healer in the world! You have to keep trying!" exclaimed Lin.

"I'm sorry, there's nothing else I can do... Korra can still airbend, but her connection to the other elements has been severed."

As Katara said her last words on the matter, Korra came into the room. Everyone looked at her with sad eyes, making her look away.

"Everything will be alright Korra," said Tenzin, trying to reassure the girl. But it didn't matter anymore. "No, it's not," said the Avatar before walking away. She took her vest and left the house without any other words.

Rae sighed. She felt her mother sit down beside her and heard the shushed whispered of the others. A migraine erupted in her head, making her groan. She closed her eyes and sat in silence for some time.

When she opened her eyes, she was met with an empty room. Iroh, Lin, and Katara were the only ones that remained. The waterbender approached Rae. She took the ribbon from her hands and turned towards the General and the older Beifong. "Would you mind leaving us alone?" she asked.

The two looked at each other before they nodded. Iroh took his hand off Rae's shoulder and walked out behind Lin, not before giving the woman a tight smile.

When the waterbender and the Guardian were alone, Katara asked, "Something is troubling you, dear... Mind sharing?"

Rae didn't look up from the ground. She closed her fists and her brows furrowed. "Have you ever heard of the guardian state, Sifu Katara?"

The woman looked up to see Katara's eyes widen. "I've heard about it, but everyone thought that the Guardian cycle ended when Aang's Guardian died. The Guardian state was blocked that day..."

"I entered it," barely whispered Rae, "And I did something...I—I used Bloodbending on someone" A small tear escaped her eyes. Katara looked at her shocked but put a hand on her shoulder.

The older woman took Rae's hands in her own. She wasn't wearing her usual gloves, but her palms were still covered in bandages. Rae winced slightly when Katara touched her hands. Ever since she entered the Guardian state and used Bloodbending, her scars seemed to burn every moment.

"I do not agree with those forms of bending," whispered Katara, "But you wouldn't have been able to do in the Guardian state if the spirits wouldn't have allowed it..."

Rae looked up with wide eyes. "You're not mad?" she asked.

Katara shook her head. A smile appeared on Rae's lips as she wiped her tears. But before she could thank Katara, a familiar surge of power flooded her body. Her eyes widened before they started to glow a warm yellow color.