A Sporting Chance

"I thought you guys were gonna decide on a constructive outlet for me, not send me on a suicide mission!" You exclaimed.

"Luna and I spoke to the mayor about it and we all agree that this is a constructive outlet for you," Tanya replied, "Plenty of opportunity for you to run and jump around. Besides, Hunter and Annika need a third player."

"Yeah," Hunter said, "The keyword in that sentence being player, not a liability." You shot an irritable glance Hunter which prompted him to give you an apologetic smile.

"As much as that hurt my pride," You started as you continued to glare at hunter, "He's not wrong. I'm no match for the teams their up against."

Tanya frowned, "It's not like you to pass up a challenge."

"Yeah, well there's a first time for everything," You scoffed as you crossed your arms.

"Of course if your absolutely sure that you don't want to give this a try we could always find something else for you to do," Tanya mused.

"Something tells me that you already have that 'something' in mind," You grumbled.

Tanya smiled brightly at you, "How perceptive of you. If you won't play on a team with Hunter and Annika, then maybe they'd like to team up with you."

"I don't follow," you replied as you raised a brow.

"Well if you won't be their third player, they won't be able to participate in the tournament. If that happens then they'll need something else to do," Tanya explained. "So if your dead set on sitting out the tournament, then you guys can spar with Luna and I. We'll tag team in a one on three match to make it fair."

Annika and Hunter nearly went as pale as the moon itself. You however, found Tanya's offer to be preferable to the tournament. "Really? That's your alternative? The three of us get to gang up on you and Luna?"

"Well? Do we have an agreement?" Tanya asked as she grinned at you.

You found her grin unsettling, but you were willing to do just about anything to get out of that tournament. "Alright, then let's-"

"Noooo!" Hunter and Annika simultaneously shouted as they tackled you to the ground. You tried to shout your protests at them, but you found Annika's paws covering your mouth.

Tanya snapped her fingers and clicked her teeth in mock frustration, "Oh darn, looks like the majority rules to stay in the tournament." She then shrugged and gave an exaggerated sigh,

"Oh well, guess there's nothing I can do about that." She then turned to walk towards one of the referees. As she left she turned her head, "Hunter, I want you and Kiba to square up for a one on one game. We need to evaluate where he stands."

"Y-yeah, sure..." Hunter shakily replied.

After she began speaking to the ref, the two foxes released you. You stood up with a less than pleased expression playing across your face, "What... was that?" You demanded.

"We were protecting you," Hunter stated definitively.

"From...?"

"Making one of the worst decisions of your life," Annika interjected.

"Explain," You replied flatly.

The two foxes exchanged glances before Annika began speaking, "Well.... You know how Luna was the captain of Deluma's police force?"

You nodded, "Yeah, how could I forget?" Your mind briefly replayed the first moments of your arrival when you first met Luna.

"Well, before Luna became a captain, or even a cadet for that matter she had to get through the police academy," Annika continued. You nodded, not really seeing the relevance of the history lesson. "There are two academies in Deluma's city. Each academy had a head trainer. When Luna was in the police academy, the head trainer was Aunt Tanya."