Chapter 7

"Sir Na-" Estelle couldn't even finish her sentence as the knight crushed his lips against hers.

Nathaniel kisses her hungrily, as if he was a lover who's missed his beloved for years. Estelle is confused and tries to break away from the kiss but he doesn't let her. He pushes her to the bed and pins her hands up.

"Mmh-please stop!" Estelle cries.

Why is Sir Nathaniel suddenly kissing me like this?! I'm a married woman and he is my personal knight! What if my maids see us? I learned adultery is a grave offense in the Empire especially among nobles. I might get executed because of this!

He breaks away from kissing and whispers in her ear, "shh be quiet, my love." 

He puts a gentle peck on her cheek before continuing, "meet me at the garden at midnight. I'll explain everything to you."

With that, he gives her one more kiss on the lips before leaving the room. Estelle lies shaking and breathless on the bed. Her thoughts and black hair both tangled messes. What just happened? Is Sir Nathaniel Estelle's secret lover?! My secret lover?!

Objectively speaking, Sir Nathaniel is actually a very good-looking man. I guess it could be possible for Estelle to have liked him but I don't feel a single ounce of attraction for him! To be frank, I felt like I was getting sexually harassed when he was kissing me...

Later at night, Estelle lies awake next to a sleeping Nikolaidis who looks unusually tired. His normally flawless face is marked with two dark eyebags. She noticed he seems to be working extra hard over the past days.

I wonder why he seems so stressed? But, I shouldn't be concerned with whatever's happening with the Duke. I have my own set of problems. The biggest one right now is Sir Nathaniel.

The knight told me to meet him at the garden tonight. Although I don't want to be alone with him, I'm dying to find out what relationship he has with Estelle. I think I can sneak out without waking Nikolaidis up. The Duke looks like he's knocked out cold.

~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~

Nikolaidis wakes up when he hears the sound of light footsteps. He keeps his eyes closed thinking it's probably just Estelle getting up to go to the comfort room or to grab a glass of water. But when he hears the main bedroom door opening and closing, his eyes immediately shoot open.

Where is Estelle going at a time like this? He gets up and follows her as she heads outside. She avoids the guards that are roaming the castle's perimeter. It seems like she doesn't want to be seen by anyone.

He continues to follow her to the garden without her knowing. What are you up to Estelle?

"Where is he?" Estelle whispers to herself.

She stops to look around, as if she was expecting someone. Nikolaidis hides behind a couple of bushes so she won't spot him. Nathaniel appears from behind a nearby tree and grabs Estelle's waist.

Nikolaidis blood boils at what he's witnessing in front of him. Isn't he one of the knights assigned to personally guard her?

The knight plants a kiss on Estelle's lips and says, "you came..."

What the hell is happening?! It took every amount of self-control for Nikolaidis not to come out from where he's hiding and kill the man holding his wife. I can't act rashly. I have to first know what is going on.

Estelle lightly pushes Nathaniel away but the knight tightens his grip on her, "uh, can you please explain why you're doing this Sir Nathaniel?"

"My lady, we are lovers. I've been your lover for years now."