28

Bucky and y/n worked their way up the floors in the building, trying to stay as unnoticed as possible - which was hard when clearing each floor meant fighting quite a few people - but, they somehow did it. 

Y/n blasted the final guy on the floor into a wall with her powers, trying to catch her breath. The floors were definitely getting harder as they went up. "Stay there..." She murmured, tiredly pointing to the knocked out guard. Y/n wiped her bloody nose with the back of her hand as she stepped over different knocked out guards and destroyed furniture. Her mask had fallen off mid-fight on one of the floors, but there was no point in turning back. "Sixth floor cleared, how many more?" Y/n asked, pressing her earpiece so the team could hear her. Bucky was stood on the other side of the destroyed floor, nodding toward y/n as if to ask if she was okay. Y/n nodded back with a smile, flipping a throwing knife in her spare hand as she waited for a response.

 "The hostages are on the seventh, eighth, and ninth floors. The tenth floor is where they're trying to hack in and gain information. Natasha, Sam, and Wanda are stationed on that floor. I need you two to meet me on the seventh floor. Once we get the floors cleared of guards we'll join the rest on the tenth floor." Steve commanded through the earpiece. Y/n nodded, stepping over unconscious guards as she made her way toward Bucky. "Well, you heard the man. Let's go." She hummed, sniffing in attempt to stop her bloody nose. Bucky frowned, he could hear the hesitation in y/n's voice. He took hold of her arm to stop her from walking, his eyebrows furrowing in concern. "What's wrong?" He asked. Y/n froze when Bucky grabbed her arm, finally realising how tense she was. She let out a nervous breath, letting her shoulders relax as she turned to face Bucky. "These are real lives at play here. Important people. What if we mess this up?" Y/n asked, pure worry evident in her voice. This was her first proper mission, she didn't want to mess up. She couldn't mess up. Bucky's face seemed to shift from concern to sympathy as he heard y/n. He moved to set his hand on y/n's back as they begun to walk toward the back stairs. "We won't mess this up. You know we won't. We've just cleared six floors on our own, I think we'll be okay." He reassured with a slight chuckle. Bucky was nervous too, but he was hiding it, wanting to be strong for y/n. But his worries were the exact same as y/n. This was the first mission where they were saving lives, not taking them. What if they couldn't do it? Y/n walked with Bucky with a slight laugh, he was right. "I know, I know. I'm just nervous." She sighed, slipping her throwing knife into her pocket. "Y/n. We're always nervous. It could be our brand at this point." Bucky smiled.

Bucky pushed open the door to the back stairs, pointing his gun just in case. The pair crept up the stairs with their backs to the walls, trying to stay as quiet as possible. They could already hear the yelling of the guards overseeing the hostages. Y/n had an orb of fire in her palm, ready to throw it as they crept up the cold steps. Usually there were guards on the stairs - but there didn't seem to be anyone, which just made the whole thing even more eerie. Y/n and Bucky continued to creep through the stairwell, both as adrenaline-filled and jittery as one another. They didn't trust the fact that nobody else was there, it must be a trap. 

That was when a figure suddenly appeared out from behind the corner of the stairwell. Y/n immediately went in to attack mode, switching her fireball to an energy orb as she blasted the figure into the nearest wall. Bucky then swung at the figure with his metal arm, beginning to choke him out. It was hard to see in the dim light of the stairwell, so they didn't know who it was, they just went straight to attack mode. 

Steve grunted in pain, holding on to Bucky's arm as he was strangled. "It's me! It's Steve!" He wheezed out. Y/n and Bucky immediately froze when they realised it was Steve. Bucky released his best friend from his chokehold, his eyes wide in embarrassment. Y/n's energy orb disappeared from her hand, her mouth open in shock. "Oh my God I-" She rambled in shock. Bucky joined in, putting his gun back into it's holster. "We thought-" He rambled. Steve shook his head with a slight smile, catching his breath against the wall. "It's fine, it's fine. I shouldn't have jumped out in front of you guys like that." He chuckled. Y/n picked Steve's shield up from where he'd dropped it after she blasted him, holding it out for him to take. "At least I know you two are always ready to fight." Steve smiled, taking the shield from y/n. 

Soon enough, the trio were stood outside the door to the seventh floor. The first floor where hostages were being kept. "This needs to be quick and smooth. We can't let the guards have any contact with the other floors, that's when everything will go wrong. There's five rooms on this floor with hostages. That means no guns, and the least amount of noise as possible." Steve said seriously. Bucky and y/n nodded, setting their guns on the ground. Steve then pulled out two pieces of fabric, causing y/n to frown a little in confusion. "Y/n you're going to pretend to be one of the hostages in one of the rooms, since you can teleport. From there you can wipe out the guards in that room, and we'll go from there." He explained, causing y/n to nod nervously. Of course she had to be the first person inside, of course. 

Steve tied her hands behind her back with the first piece of fabric, tying the other piece around her mouth just like the other hostages. Y/n was mostly silent, but she was an obvious bundle of nerves. "Hey, you'll be fine. You know you will." Bucky reassured after seeing the fear on y/n's face, flashing a comforting smile. Y/n nodded with a shaky breath, glancing back at Steve. Steve gave y/n a reassuring smile, a serious look on his face. "See you in a minute." He nodded, and, after a few moments, y/n disappeared before their eyes.