15

Because you're beautiful.

He called me beautiful.

No one had ever called me that before (except for my mom and dad. Oh, and my therapist).

My face hurt from smiling too much. It had been hours since Noah had dropped me off at home, but I still had a stupid goofy grin. Even I thought I was weird. Thank God my parents were still at work or they'd know for sure something was up.

Although I had proven that I could be successful in hiding things from my parents, I still sucked at it most of the time.  I was told I sucked at lying too.  I was known for blurting out every darn thing in my mind, especially when I felt nervous. That was too bad, really.

I stretched my arms up, rolling my shoulders. I had been working nonstop on Noah's bracelet. It was far from done, and I still had to buy that Celtic coin, but it felt good to make something for him.

He probably won't even like it or he'll throw it away. Or –gasps—give it away.

It didn't matter. It was a gift and he could do anything he wanted with it.

Turning all the lights in the house, I trudged to the kitchen. I enjoy long, romantic walks. Especially on the way to the kitchen to hold hands with my fridge.

I wasn't hungry, but I just felt like chewing on something. My mouth was hungry even though my stomach wasn't.

The fridge was brimming with food. My eyes scanned everything from top to bottom, but nothing appealed to me. I went to the pantry next, leaning on the doorjamb with my arms crossed, looking at everything.

"There's no food," I muttered to no one. I knew it was ridiculous since the fridge and pantry were stacked like we were preparing for a great famine, but I said it anyway since no one else was in the house.

I decided to reach for seaweed chips when I heard shouting next door. It was coming from the Hunter's residence. Like the nosy badger that I was, I went to the window so that I could hear it better.

 I could hear Mr. Hunter's angry voice, followed by Noah's hostile response. I couldn't understand the words, but I knew from the tone of their voices that the shouting match was escalating. And then I heard glasses breaking.

Noah!

Fear and adrenaline drove me to run outside to the Hunters' front door.

Noah was strong, but Mr. Hunter looked like he ate people for breakfast.

I was just about to press the doorbell when I heard Noah's furious voice.

 "Why can't you be a normal father? Who steals money from their own son?"

"You owe me, boy. You're living under my roof, aren't you?"

"I don't have to stay here now that she's gone! I fucking hate you."

"Well, I guess she hates you too since she left you, eh, boy? And that slut of a sister you have—"

I gasped when I heard more glass breaking.

Should I call the police?

But Noah... I had to check if he was okay.

I rang the doorbell incessantly, barely stopping myself from just banging on the door. After a minute, I noticed the shouting had stopped. I was panting like I had just run a mile. It took a few more minutes before the door opened.