Chapter Thirty-Three

Two weeks go by. I look back on them and feel like it floated by unnoticed. I've gone to school. I've slept. I've eaten. I've breathed.

I haven't talked to Brendan much. I want to forgive him. I do. But it's so hard. Every time I see his face, I hear the words he yelled at me.

I've also talked to Caleb. My trust in him is a little wary, but I still consider him to be a friend to me.

My phone vibrates. I pull it out of my pocket and answer.

"Hello?"

"Lili!" That would be Drew.

"What?" I sigh.

"You should come over here," he says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because I'm your friend," he replies.

"Says who, exactly?" I ask.

"Said you at school today," he says.

"Whatever," I let out a sigh.

"So will you come?" He asks.

"Sure," I shrug even though he can't see me.

"Alright, see you soon," Drew replies.

I hang up and drop my phone onto my bed. I try to find the will inside me to get up and move, but I can't. For a long time, I just lay on my bed and do absolutely nothing.

When I finally get myself up, I throw on a jacket and some shoes, then brush out my hair and walk out the door. My mom doesn't question me as I leave. She just waves and then I start walking.

When I make it to Drew's house, I knock on his door a few times, and when he finally answers at least two minutes into my knocking, he doesn't look happy.

"You don't have to knock on my door so loudly," he says, rubbing his eyes.

"You weren't answering," I shrug.

"I was asleep," he scowls.

"You fell asleep within the ten minutes that it took for me to get here?" I ask, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, what about it?" He asks.

I just walk inside, past him. I stop in his living room, where I make myself at home on his couch. There's a bag of potato chips on the table in front of me. I take that and start eating, realizing that I'm actually really hungry.

"What have you been up to all day?" He asks me, sitting next to me on the couch.

"Not much," I shrug. He puts his hand into the chip bag and takes a handful. "I went to the store with my mom. Costco samples are the best."

He smiles. "Well duh."

"Why do you ask?"

"Because I'm being friendly...?" He replies.

I give him a blank look.

"When are you going to talk to him, Lili?" Drew asks with a sigh.

There it is. I look down at my hands, letting out a breath. "I don't know."

"He comes over here every day," Drew says. "He's a real wreck. He keeps saying that he's a crap wad of a person and that you'll never forgive him."

I stay silent. I don't know what to say.

"He's really sorry, you know," he continues. "He really loves you."

"He doesn't have a really great way of showing that love," I sigh.