.030

When Alora walks up upon the unlikely group of three in the early morning, she simply takes a seat at the edge of the small clearing they occupy, crossing her legs on the rock while gazing at the Child. She ignores Mando's gaze when he slowly makes his way over to her while Ahsoka prepares her little test.

"What are you doing?" Mando asks when he settles beside her.

Alora purses her lips. "What I promised. Watching the kid. Plus, if Jedi have taught me anything, it's that a test like this is too important to miss."

When Ahsoka clears her throat, Alora falls silent, her eyes remaining on the Child who smiles at her. Her gut twists and turns as Ahsoka holds out a small rock and makes it levitate over to the Child.

He happily takes the stone in his hands with a small laugh.

"Now, return the stone to me, Grogu."

When he does not, Mando says, "He doesn't understand."

"Yes, he does," Alora replies with a roll of her eyes.

Ahsoka sends her a look before turning back to the Child. "It's ok. The stone, Grogu."

The Child looks over at Mando and Alora, his wide eyes drawing her in. Both of them motion for him to do as asked, but Alora's expression softens as she senses his fear.

The Child drops the stone.

Mando sighs heavily as Alora presses her lips together, watching Ahsoka kneel before the Child who only looks at the ground. As Ahsoka takes the Child's hand, a feeling of warmth spreads through the air.

"You can sense it, can't you?" Ahsoka lifts her gaze to Alora. "His fear?"

"We've all had to hide to survive," Alora replies as she leans back, her arm brushing against Mando's armor. "If he really is from..." Licking her lips, she takes a deep breath though her throat feels like sandpaper. "If he really is from Coruscant, then it would make sense. It's how I felt in the beginning. Only during the war did I accept that part of myself and use it to our advantage."

"Let's try something else. Come over here."

No one moves.

"He's stubborn," Mando says.

"Not him. You. I want to see if he'll listen to you."

Alora nudges him and practically pushes him off of her stone before watching him stand beside Ahsoka. "That would be a first," Mando mutters as he shifts in place.

"I like firsts. Good or bad, they're always memorable. Now, hold the stone out in the palm of your hand. Tell him to lift it up."

Mando shakes his helmet a bit but does as he is told, eliciting a small smile from Alora. "All right, kid. Lift the stone."