31

"Temporary happiness isn't worth long term pain

"Temporary happiness isn't worth long term pain."

The egg leaked out all over the toasted bread, leaving a yellow spread over it. I used the silver fork to cut into the soft grain and plop it into my mouth. I hummed in pleasure, "This is delicious." I whispered to Caspian next to me.

He smiled and drank some of the orange juice in front of him, "It's just eggs and toast."

"Well where I'm from there's nothing like this." I took another bite.

I looked up to the rest of the morning eaters to watch Calliste grumpily eat her breakfast while sitting by Nixie staring lovingly into Tony's eyes. I covered my mouth with a napkin to cover the inappropriate smile blooming across my face.

Caspian leaned over and whispered, "What's so funny."

I looked down and shook my head, "Calliste feeling left out of Nixies love charade." I covered my mouth with my glass of juice, "It's very...public."

Nixie's smile was wider than before when Tony fed her a bite of toast. Caspian shook his head, "I could never be that affectionate."

Calliste snapped her fingers, "Hey, gossipers! Care to share with the group?"

I leaned away from our whispered conversation, "I have no idea what you're talking about." I pursed my lips to cover a smile.

Caspian sat eaqually straight, "No gossip going on here."

Calliste smiled and shook her head, resuming her meal, "You two."

When she looked away Caspian and I both looked at each other and fell into a fit of snickers.

I had to take several deep breaths to stop laughing before I stood up to dismiss myself.

I was getting ready to leave this afternoon.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

I breathed in the fresh salty air of the dock. The first whiff that I was returning back, where I belonged.

I had no luggage, and instead just wore a set the seamstress threw together for me. It was copper colored.

Someone ran up and hugged me from behind, "I can't believe you're already leaving!" Calliste turned me around, "I'm not even pregnant yet!"

I laughed, "No, let me know when you are though."

"Of course, you are the honorary aunt."

I smiled, "I'll miss you, but you know I have to go."

"It's really a shame, I was just starting to tolerate you." She smiled wide.

"Like everyone here isn't hooked to me like a drug."

"Don't be cocky, even if it's true."

I laughed, "I promise, we'll see each other again."

Calliste bit her lip and a flash of emotions ran across her eye, an almost external pity. Why would she pity me? She replaced it with a smile, "I'm sure we will."

The boat made a large noise- from a horn hidden somewhere Calliste had told me -signaling I needed to leave. "Goodbye Callie."

I turned to the boat and walked on deck. The only other person who'd be making the expedition with me would be Caspian, but I didn't see him on deck.

"Well, well, well. You're back!" A familiar voice said behind me.

I turned around and smiled at Olly who was holding a large wad of rope, "Olly! How have you been?"

"Good as always miss. Or should I say your Highness?"

I tilted my head, "Why would you call me that?"

He coughed, "No reason. Cap'n says we're taking you back to your home."

"Yeah, home." I looked away from Olly to the dock where people were rushing to board the vessel, "Is Caspian already on board?"

"Yes ma'am, got here early this morning." He leaned closer, "Stanley says he looked pissed off 'bout summ." He shrugged.

"Hmm."

(A/N: Wow. You guys have just been so wonderful. If you're reading this, thank you for sticking with me this far, you truly don't know what it means to me that y'all actually like this story that's been plucked from my brain. Thank you a million times over just for being here. <3 )