Chapter Thirty-One

Location: Beverly Hills, California
Date: June 24th, 1950
Name: Stephen Dale Curtis
Age: thirty-nine

Eleanor was effortlessly beautiful and Dale loved it.

"Hey, do you think I could marry you, sweet thing?"

Eleanor shook her head and laughed. "Not a chance, blondie. I'm taken."

Dale caressed his sweet wife's cheek and smiled. "You're just so perfect and I love you," He was obsessed with her, in a healthy way of course.

Eleanor held Dale's hand and kissed it. She loved his hands, she loved everything about him. "I guess I wouldn't mind marrying you. You are my favorite man and you've been amazing to me." She said appreciatively and lay back on his bare chest, she loved everything about him.

Everything has been wonderful since they got married. Eleanor had even talked to her father twice since being gone, he didn't say one negative thing about Dale. It was nice.

"I thought so, my princess," Dale murmured in pure bliss. "I'm retiring my position,"

Eleanor's heart leaped with joy. "Really? Oh, that's wonderful!" She couldn't have asked for a better day. He was going to be with her forever.

Dale nodded and kissed her head. "I'm going in tomorrow to finalize everything. I want to always be available to you, princess," He left out a few things, but she didn't need to worry. It was all handled.

"Thank you, Dale. What are you going to do now?" She asked curiously and content.

Dale loved his wife. He just loved her. "I'll be working as an English Professor at the University of Southern California. My schedule is much better than before and I'll have more time to spend with you," That was his favorite part about the job. He would have more time on his hands.

Eleanor squeezed Dale's hand and sighed. She could've kicked her legs in the air, she was that happy. "Oh, Dale! This makes me so happy. Can we celebrate with banana splits?"

It was their special thing.

"We sure can, princess."

-

The next morning, Dale woke up before Eleanor, as usual. She wanted to spend the morning with him, but according to the note he left on the dresser, he was making his final visit to the base.

"Clark! Let's get breakfast ready for Daddy," She yelled as she walked down the stairs.

Clark jumped up from the couch and walked to the kitchen. "You're such a good boy," She cooed and kissed his head.

"Ooh, wait! Music always makes cooking even more enjoyable," She explained to Clark, who just stared at her. She walked to the living room and picked a random record. "I've never heard this one before," She mumbled to herself.

Clark started to bark and she heard the door open. It was her Dale!

"You're home!" Eleanor cheered happily and ran to hug her deeply missed husband. "I missed you," She murmured onto his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist.

Dale sighed and tightened his grip on her. "I love you, Eleanor." His voice sounded strange.

She looked up and her heart dropped. "Dale, are you okay?" She gently caressed his cheek. "And why did you call me Eleanor?" Something was definitely wrong, he rarely called her by her name.

He took her hand and walked to the living room. He sat on the couch and she followed.

"There's a war,"