Book One: Water | 1 | A Blessed Birth

Art drawn by me!

It was a bright, peaceful day just like the ones before it had been. A young boy no older than twelve sat in the snow simply enjoying the brisk, cold air of the southern pole. His silver white hair was shaved on the sides, pulled back into a traditional wolf tail with a navy blue band. A single small braid with blue beads framed one side of his face. His brown skin was on the paler side despite how often he was in the sun. This child's name was Ayaan. (Pronounced "Ah-yahn").

"Brother!"

"Big Bro!"

He heard two voices calling to him. He knew them all too well. His younger siblings, Sokka and Katara, ran towards him, each pulling an arm to get him up from the soft snow he sat upon. The ten and eight year old had giant smiles on their faces as they pulled him along.

"You promised you'd show me awesome warrior moves today!"

"Hey! Ayaan was going to the river with me today!"

"Pssht," Sokka scoffed, "You can play with magic water later, me and Ayaan are going to train, like real men!" Both of the children were glaring at each other, the imaginary sparks flying as both of them wanted Ayaan to themselves.

"Now now you two. Cut it out." Ayaan chastised. This always happens between them. Both of them want to spend time with him at the same time and end up arguing about it. Being taught by their father, Hakoda, Ayaan was found to have natural talent for combat. Sokka thought he was the greatest brother in the known universe and wanted him to teach him to be a warrior of the tribe.

And then there was the fact that he too was a waterbender and understood the curiosities Katara had about being one. He was not a master, but as he was older there were some things he could figure out faster than she could. Being the only one she could look to about her bending heritage, Katara sought him out constantly so that he could show her what little he can.

Being the understanding brother that he is, he made sure to give both of them equal amounts of attention when he could. He turned them around, hugging them both as he was now leading them both to their usually play spot. "I never make promises I can't keep." He sported his own smile, his pearly whites showing.

A river bank just a ways away from their tiny village, their was an open snow field right beside it, and it was clear so that even if they ran a bit, he would still be able to see them. The perfect place to play with them to their hearts desires. Ayaan first went to Sokka, showing him some of the moves he'd been perfecting with their dad just that week. Sokka soaked it all in with a sparkle in his eyes.

Katara, however, was bored with their little routines. So after showing him the final set of moves and leaving him to practice to his heart's content, he went to his little sister who was more than eager to show him the new trick she'd come up with.

"Ayaan! Ayaan! Look what I can do! I've been practicing all week!" She lifts her arms, letting them reach out towards the water of the icy river. At first, nothing happens, but she keeps concentrating until finally a tiny water bubble surfaces in front of her. Struggling to hold it, but happy she was able to do it, she excitedly exclaims, "Do you see it! I made a bubble! I am a waterbending master now!"

It then pops, splashing them with a bit of water. Before she started to sulk, Ayaan praised her. "That was awesome, Katara! Teach me your ways, O Wise One." He does a mock bow which makes her giggle, forgetting her failed bubble. And that was how they began playing in the water.

"Big Bro, why do my kicks look so lame while yours look so cool?! I can't be a man with these lame punches! Quick! Give me some of your talent! My lame is spreading!"