A Quiet Time

Uncle steers the wagon back at Horseshoe Overlook and stops once it makes it into the camp. The girls and Uncle get off of the wagon but Mary-Beth stops (y/n) for a second. "You know...whatever goes on between you and Arthur....I still think you'd be better for him than Mary." She said and (y/n) raises an eyebrow at her.

"Who's Mary?" She asked and Mary-Beth's eyes widen. "You don't know about Mary?" She asked. "No. He never really talks about his past with me....and I've never pushed it." (Y/n) said and Karen scoffs. "Mary's like Molly. Too high and mighty to be around us misfits." She grumbles as she and Tilly walk off. "Not as bad but...close."

(Y/n) watches them leave, confused, before she turns to Mary-Beth. "Years ago, Mary and Arthur were together and they were gonna get married...." Mary-Beth explained and (y/n)'s eyes widen at this, shocked. "But...from what I understand...she ended it." 

"Why?" (Y/n) asked, curiously. "Something about how she didn't like the way he lived." Mary-Beth replied and (y/n) frowned. "He was heartbroken after that. I don't think I've ever seen him be sweet on anyone since then...that is..until he met you." Mary-Beth said and (y/n) blushes at this.

"You know I would never hurt him." (Y/n) said to her and Mary-Beth nods. "Of course." She said. The two girls share a smile before (y/n) turns back to the wagon and starts to pick up the groceries. "Here, I'll help." Mary-Beth said as she goes to pick up another bag. "Thank you, Mary-Beth." (Y/n) said, grateful, and the two girls take the food over to Mr Pearson, who thanked them.

(Y/n) goes over and sees Annebeth playing with Jack with some sticks they found. She smiles as she watches over them until she hears a noise and turns to see that Arthur had returned. As she turns to look at him, she started to smile and felt her heart beat harder. It seemed he felt her gaze as he raises his head a bit and looks right at her. 

He smiles back and started to walk towards her but Bill and Dutch stop him. She couldn't hear what they were talking about but knew it had to be important if Dutch was talking to him. Arthur turns his head to look at her, she could tell that he didn't want to deal with whatever Bill and Dutch wanted to do but she sighs and jerks her head towards the men as if to say if you must.

He frowned but follows the men off towards the edge of camp where they had that O'Driscoll tied up to a tree. She sighs then turns back to the kids as they used the sticks as swords and pretend to fight.

"I gotcha!" Jack exclaims as he and Annebeth kept smacking their sticks together, Annebeth giggles a bit. "Jack, be careful." Abigail calls out as the two kids started to get a bit rough. But then Jack swings his stick sideways and hits Annebeth on the side of her head. 

Annabeth let’s out a small "Ow!" (Y/n) and Abigail were about to go and check on her until, to their surprise, Annabeth was unfazed from the hit and she says. "I’m okay." Before continuing to play as if nothing happened.

(Y/n) had a small heart-attack for a moment but let out a sigh of relief when Annebeth shrugged off the pain. She shakes her head as the two kids continued to play. "She's a tough one." Abigail said and (y/n) nods. "Just like her mama." Abigail said, smiling, as she nudges (y/n)'s shoulder, which made (y/n) laugh.

"I don't know about that..." (y/n) said. "Oh , c'mon, (y/n), you're the toughest woman I know. With everything you've been through..." Abigail said and (y/n) chuckles. "I'm just a mother who's trying to keep her daughter safe. That's all." (Y/n) said.

At that moment, they hear Arthur yelling for John and Bill as he and the O'Driscoll walk towards the horses. "John, Bill, come here…we got a social call needs making." He yells. (Y/n) watches him and he looks over at her for a moment, smiles then mounts his horse.