━ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐓𝐔𝐁 - 𝐏𝟑 ━

||𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕||

The sun had set behind the trees by the time the chief's car pulled up in front of the Byers home. Strangely, it feels like years since we were last here when it had only been three days ago. As we all exited the vehicle, three figures emerged from the house; Nancy, Jonathan, and Mrs. Byers.

"Mike. Oh, my God. Mike!" Nancy exclaimed, running towards him.

He stepped forward and she engulfed him in a hug.

Grabbing him by the shoulders, she pulled away. "I was so worried about you." She scolded.

"Yeah, uh... me, too." He said awkwardly.

Nancy's eyes trailed over to El and an odd look crossed her face. She tilted her head slightly.

"Is that my dress?"

El looked to me not knowing what to do and then back at the older girl. For some reason, and what I can only assume to be my state of mind and being under so much stress I begin to chuckle, finding the whole situation kinda funny.

⊹ ⊹ ⊹

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat."

We had all made it inside and currently, we were all gathered around the living room. The party and I were sitting on the floor surrounding the coffee table while the others were seated on the furniture. Mike had drawn up Mr. Clark's diagram of the flea and the acrobat and was catching everybody else up with what we've learned so far. They all stayed quiet for the most part — occasionally jumping in to ask clarifying questions which we were more than happy to answer — and listened intently. I, however, remained quiet. I was still trying to process what had happened during my encounter with the bad men. I was also transfixed in the living room around me. Wondering how the once welcoming and cozy second home had changed so drastically.

And what the hell was with all these Christmas lights?

"Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said that the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space,"

"A gate," Dustin interjected.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab"

"With our compasses,"

"And El's help of course," I added, smiling at El who shyly returned it.

The others exchanged confused glances.

Dustin took this as his cue to talk.

"Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle.

Hopper spoke up for the first time in a while.

"Is this gate underground?"

Surprising us all, El answered almost immediately. "Yes."

The two made eye contact. "Near a large water tank?" He asked.

She nodded and her gaze dropped to the floor. "Yes."