Chapter 19

Derek's POV

Once my clothes are in the dryer, I make my way back upstairs and into the shower. As the shower water cascades down my body, I think about this new little life I'm starting with Danielle. It all happened so quickly but also so naturally. I'm curious to see where things go.

I turn the shower water off then grab my towel and dry off. As I'm drying off, I realize that all my clothes are in the dryer. That also means I have to go back downstairs practically naked to get to the laundry room.

I think about throwing my dirty clothes back on just for the minute it will take me to get my clean clothes but ultimately decide against it. I wrap the towel around my waist then quickly exit my room and scurry down the stairs.

I'm hoping Danielle has already gone to her room for the night. When I get to the bottom of the staircase, I realize that she has not gone to bed. In fact, she's sitting at the kitchen island, staring right at me.

"Need to grab my laundry," I mumble, avoiding eye contact with her. Unfortunately I have to go partly through the kitchen to get to the laundry room. As I'm walking, I can feel Danielle's eyes watching my every move.

I quickly open the laundry room, and grab my flannel sweatpants and a gray shirt from the dryer. Once I have my clothes, I move back through the kitchen and up the stairs. When I'm in my room, I close the door behind me and get dressed.

Danielle's POV

When Derek comes down the stairs in only a bath towel, I nearly drop my cup of decaf coffee. He's freshly showered and for the first time, I get to see him shirtless. He has a thin layer of light brown hair on his chest and a small strip on his lower stomach that disappears under his towel. I also can't help but notice his lightly defined abdomen and arms. I don't want to stare but it's nearly impossible to look away. He is sexy as hell.

"Need to grab my laundry," Derek mutters.

I watch him disappear into the laundry room then reappear a minute later. Seconds later, he's back up the stairs and tucked away in his room.

I sigh as I put down my coffee. It seems like every day, I see more of Derek both on the inside and the outside. And with each bit I see, I get more attracted to him.

I try to push the thought out of my mind and instead turn my attention to preparing for this week at the bakery.

We were closed this weekend due to the storm. And because Derek and I went shopping today, I didn't do any preparation for this upcoming week. It is the last full week before Christmas so I know it is going to be hectic.

I write down this week's recipes on a little notecard then tape it to the back of the front door to take with me tomorrow. I tidy up the kitchen a bit, killing a little bit of time.

It's only 9pm and I'm hoping Derek comes back downstairs tonight. I've gotten so used to watching something on tv with him the last couple nights that I'm hoping the tradition continues.

By the time I finish straightening up the kitchen, the living room and the dining ares, it's past 10pm. I haven't heard a peep from Derek. I sigh then turn off all the lights downstairs before heading up the stairs.

When I get to the top of the stairs case, I glance at Derek's door. His room is to my right and mine is to the left. I don't want to bother him but I also want to make sure he's okay.

"Derek?" I finally say, tapping lightly on his door. "I'm headed to bed." I don't hear anything in response and after a few moments, decide to head to my room. As I'm walking away, his door opens and he steps out into the hallway.

"Good night," he says, giving me a small smile.

I return his small smile with a big one. "Good night," I respond. "I'll be gone by 5 tomorrow but I'll see you when I get home."

"Actually," Derek says. "Do you mind if I come in tomorrow? I'd imagine the week before Christmas gets pretty hectic."

I smile at his thoughtfulness. "I would love for you to come in. You don't have to though, you know. Our agreement was just Fridays through Sunday."

"I know," Derek says. "But I want to. So I should be ready by 5?"

"Yes sir," I reply. We say good night again before disappearing into our rooms for the night.