7 | Caught

Scorpius hated himself once more for executing a half-arsed plan. Now, he was stuck in the past, specifically the Hogwarts Library, trying to search for any spell to fix the Vanishing Cabinet. His father didn't exactly tell him how he was able to do it. The only thing Scorpius deduced was that Draco Malfoy was half-proud, half-disgusted with himself for successfully achieving a very difficult spell.

He tried to ask help from Dumbledore, because honestly, what did the Headmaster not know? But the Headmaster had been painfully evasive, constantly urging Scorpius that the library was always the delightful place to gain more knowledge.

If Scorpius' hunch was right, he'd say Dumbledore didn't want him to fix the Vanishing Cabinet immediately. It made perfect sense after all. Once the Vanishing Cabinet was fixed, the Death Eaters would travel into Hogwarts and make sure he'd kill Dumbledore.

So, although he knew he should stall, it wouldn't be wise to report to Voldemort he hadn't been doing his task. Scorpius involuntarily shivered, remembering how it felt like to be under the Cruciatus Curse.

'Yep, congratulations, Malfoy, for a wonderful half-arsed plan,' he snarled to himself. Scorpius sighed and leaned his forehead against the wooden table, trying to convince himself that everything he was doing was for the greater fucking good.

"Excuse me, but you're on my table."

Scorpius audibly groaned, recognising the voice of the swotty future Minister for Magic. He deliberately lifted his head just to rile up the Gryffindor Prefect. He found out weeks ago that he was the one that almost always ruffled Granger's feathers. His Dad absolutely watered down his story when he said the brightest witch of her age didn't like him one bit.

"Breaking news, Granger, but this is a public library," he drawled as he draped his arms across his chair and smirked. "Last time I checked, your name isn't engraved on this table."

Loudly sighing, Hermione leaned forward and tapped on a brass plate he hadn't noticed before. Scorpius frowned and glanced at the plate, only to guffaw loudly to see that it had her name written on it.

"What the hell? Is this even legal?" he asked as soon as he calmed down. Her cheeks already coloured with mild irritation and embarrassment, but Scorpius was too amused to be considerate.

"If you must know, I value my studies very much," she said. Scorpius snorted and bit down his tongue, stopping himself from replying that everyone knew about that. She glared and lifted her chin. "I specifically requested this table from Headmaster Dumbledore since it is quite secluded and quiet. So yes, Malfoy, my name is on this table and you're sitting on it."

Scorpius gaped in disbelief. "You really are a teacher's pet, aren't you?" he lightly teased. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, seriously!"

Hermione grew affronted and wrapped her arms across her chest. "Leave, Malfoy," she threatened. "You're on my table."

"No, Granger, I won't." He braced his arms tightly against the table and gave her a challenging look. "You can't make me."

Her wand hand shook and Scorpius tried to rein in his nervousness. As the brightest witch of her age, he knew her spells would be wicked and powerful. He had seen Minister Granger-Weasley in a battle before, too, and Merlin help him, he'd be shaking on his feet if he were standing right now.

Hermione finally expelled a huge sigh of defeat and pulled the opposite chair away from the table. The noise made him a little jumpy and she lifted an eyebrow at his twitchiness.

"What are you doing?" he demanded.

"Well, since you don't want to leave my table and I want to study, I believe I'm trying to compromise, Malfoy."