Chapter 1

Impulsive and impromptu.

That's how you can describe us currently sitting down in our favourite restaurant.We were sitting on our usual terrace table with a serene harp playing from the corner.

 Dad thought it's been a while for a 'family-bonding' moment along with a cause for celebration--the finalising of a deal that the three of us had been working on for almost a year.

"I'll have the sushi platter." Asher chirps and puts down his menu. I don't even know why he bothers to flip through it--this is his order every single time. 

"Me too!" I added, partly because I craved sushi and partly because I wanted to annoy my brother.

"Stop copying me in everything , geez." Asher rolled his eyes. Plan worked, I give myself an internal pat.

"I hope you find a brain back there." I said in a teasing tone and managed to annoy him further.

"Stop it you two, start acting like the adults you are." Dad interrupted us in his deep thunderous voice, that was enough to shut us up.It was his 'you better be quiet now' tone and we both knew better rather than disobeying it.

"I'll have the steak, medium-rare." Dad said as he closed the menu, copying down the last item the waiter hurried back with a quick nod. Dad looked straight at us, "It makes me really happy that both my children will be continuing my legacy," he pauses for a moment, "our legacy. Your mother and mine."

We give him a small smile. I reach out my hand across the table and dad holds it.

Our family business, 'Evans BuiltIN Group' was a passion project for mom and dad. They laid it's foundational brick and now it stands on top of all the architectural firms in New York. Dad is the Chairman, whereas Asher & I were appointed as Co-CEOs. As widely presumed, these jobs weren't handed to us on a silver platter, Asher and I worked our butts off for our degrees from Columbia and NYU, respectively. Earned a 3 year experience in the marketplace by joining different companies and were finally interviewed for the position. We earned the place that we are in today. Mom used to be the chairperson, but after her passing the position was merged with the board of directors.

Dad cleared his throat before continuing and we continued listening to him, "That being said, I have some news for the both of you."

We continue looking at him prompting to continue what he was saying.

"I have decided to step-down from my position by the end of next month." My smile drops instantly.

We weren't blindsided by this but it still hurt, dad was supposed to retire 5 years ago but he threw himself into working as he still couldn't face the loneliness and needed a distraction.And as I look at him now it dawned upon me how different he looks, not old but definitely tired. Exhausted. With baggy eyes and forehead lines that weren't there before. He stands tall at 6 feet with a good muscular built , head full of dark brown hair with a few silvery strands and stormy green eyes. His eyes was the one feature I inherited from him, Asher on the other hand was an exact copy of dad just a bit taller and younger with bright blue eyes.

"We understand your decision dad, but are you sure about this?" Asher looked at him with questioning eyes.

"Do you trust us enough to run the company on our own?" I ask with a very light voice and squeeze his hand.

He looked at Asher then at me and finally sighed , "I know after your mother's untimely demise, all of us lost something inside of us. That doesn't mean you will start doubting yourselves."

He took a pause as the waiter arrived with our plates.The waiter gave me a smile and I smiled back politely but he unusually scurried away. Looking to my side, I see Asher glaring at him. Big brothers and their over-protectiveness, phew.

"Yes, I'm sure about my decision. I dedicated my good years to the future of our company and I think it's time you two take the helm." Dad brings us back into the conversation. There was a morose silence that settled on the table--a tight atmosphere gripping us. Reality was sinking in, Dad won't be there to look upon us--it's us all by ourselves now.

Both of us nodded solemnly but dad then surprised us by a chuckle, "Why the frowns?" and flagged down the waiter, "We need to celebrate! Get us a bottle of Möet." 

With all our hands filled with flutes of champagne, the three of us raised our glasses for a toast, "To my relaxing years and your hardworking ones!" Dad says excitedly and we softly clink our glasses in the midst.

Asher and I share a look before taking the first sip, "It's you and me Sky," he whispers and I wink at him before downing the rest of the champagne.

--*--

Asher dropped me home first and then went to Dad's. I slip out of my heels and discard them by the door. Changing into my pyjamas I throw myself down on the bed. As I mindlessly scroll through my phone, my mind mulled over the thought of Dad leaving. I had started accepting the idea, it would be hard but it's for the best. Dad needed his rest and we needed to navigate with independence.

I tossed and turned until 3:00 in the morning, it wasn't unusual for me. Insomnia had been a close companion for the last seven years.After mom, I had become a very light sleeper.Often I woke up and  just stared out the window or started painting until I felt drowsy enough to go back. Even I don't know what I was searching for looking into the oblivion for hours every night and drawing mindlessly. 

Hoping to find something I didn't know.