Chapter 2

A week later

I had turned off my alarm at exactly 6:30 and had gotten four hours of sleep last night. Considerably more than ever, even my therapist was proud of me. That had brought an unusual spring in my step as I crossed the lobby to get to my office. I felt good in my beige body-con dress and my favourite pair of heels.

Today was the day that Dad would officially announce his retirement. And I, like a mature adult, had finally accepted the idea.

"Morning Ms.Evans" Andrea, my secretary, smiled at me from the desk as I reached near her, she was sunshine personified. Making my work easier was her priority and I loved her for that.

"Morning Andrea," I greet her and hand her a cup of coffee along with a wrapped box containing her favourite perfume. She looks at me, "Pretty sure I'm supposed to do this for you."

 I winked, "Not today, happy secretary's day!" She gives me a shy smile before I enter my office. 

All the paperwork for today was resting on my desk already, rolling into my chair I started reading them.I was done with the first 3 signatures in my one hour of going through the contract that left only two more to go. Taking a sip of my now cold coffee, I flip on the next section of the merger regarding 'Carter Inc.'  A knock on my door startles me, "Come in," I muttered distracted.

Jake, our executive manager peeks his head in. He smiled at me awkwardly as sweat built up above his brow. Man, he seemed anxious.

"Morning Ms. Evans, please tell me you're done with the paperwork," he said in a pleading tone.

I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth, "Not yet, Jake."

He takes in a deep breath as if gathering courage to say the next sentence, "Could you please hurry?"

I look up at him, "Why? Is there an emergency?"

 He nods haphazardly, "The meeting has been moved up by 2 hours and I need to compile all the signed paperwork immediately." His breath was coming out in gasps now--he seemed like he was having a full blown anxiety attack. I stood up and offered him a seat opposite to me. Handing him a glass of water I say, "Calm down and give me two more minutes."

He nods and I give him a tight smile. As a person who suffers from anxiety herself, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Flipping through the next two sections and barely scanning them, I put my initials there. I had a lot of faith rested on my legal team right now.

I hand him the papers, "Don't have a heart attack." He mutters a 'thanks' before practically running out of my office.

I started racking up brain for all the reasons for the meeting being moved up but nothing came to mind.My trance was broken  as Dad and Asher came in with a face mixed of concern and...anger?

"Did you sign the papers already?" Dad asked with a worried tone.

"Yes," I answered, "Jake would have fainted if I didn't."

"Fuck." Asher muttered under his breath. I looked at him skeptically and then at Dad.

My heartbeat accelerated--something was wrong. Their expressions didn't exactly radiate happiness."What happened?" I asked hesitantly, afraid of knowing the answer.

"That merger with the Carter Inc. had a stipulation regarding a marriage between the the 2 families for the guaranteed future of the betterment of both the companies." Dad says in a single breath and it takes me over a minute to absorb the sentence.

"George Carter is going to talk to my fist when I meet him," Asher spits out in an angry tone.

"Don't be stupid Asher, he was the one who informed me to read the fine print and go through everything carefully and exclusively told me about the marriage thing. He warned me that once the papers were signed he couldn't do anything." Dad said.

"I'm still confused.What is happening?" I asked, feeling a bit stupid.

"Our legal team is getting fired. That's what's happening." Asher says, his anger level still sky high.

"You were going to have to marry George's son Ethan for the merger to be a success," Dad stated in a grave tone."But don't worry, you don't have to do anything against your will. We will find a way." He smiles sadly at me,"It's my fault that I wasn't careful enough while reading all the terms, Sky, honey we can still back out." Dad says while holding my hand.

"But you'll lose 51% shares of the company,Dad." I immediately counter as the clause from the first section flashes into my mind--

If any party decides to back out of the contract at the last minute, they would be losing the majority shares of their company to the other party.

"Nothing is more important to me than my children, not even the company. I don't want you to be miserable your entire life because of my stupid mistake. You will not go through with it." Dad says with a finality in his tone.

"Yeah Sky, just listen to Dad and back out. We can't put you at a price for our company." Asher added a bit softly. I stood there like a statue.

My mind went through all the past years. All the late nights Mom and Dad came back home while they were building our company. All the achievements and awards this company had won just because of my parent's hard work. Everything they suffered to build this company from the ground up, I can't just let their 30 years of work drown, I couldn't let go of my mom's love and dedication that went into building this organisation--a second home of sorts.

I just couldn't.

So, I decide to take a leap of faith, "Asher, dad you know that I'm an adult and I am capable of making my own decisions. Right?" They both nod suspiciously.

 "I've decided to marry Ethan Carter." I shrug my shoulders as if I just didn't make a decision that's going to affect my future. I have to share it with a stranger.

"No!" Asher growled and Dad's mouth hangs open.

"Sky please think through it." Dad pleaded. His face assured me that I made the right decision, how he was willing to let go off something he had dedicated his entire life to just to save me. It only strengthened it.

"I've made my decision and I will not be deterred. I will marry him. Besides Dad you were the one who said I am really good at making deals, so let me go through with this deal. I am a part of this company too and I want nothing but the best."

 Dad doesn't say a word as a single tear drops form his eye and walks out with hunched shoulders.

"Don't be stupid Sky, you can't  let go of your entire future just for a company." Asher says and grabs my arm. I free myself from him.

"A company?  Asher have you forgotten how much of Mom and Dad's blood and sweat went into this? All those late nights and untimely meetings. Have you forgotten how much love and dedication mom devoted into building this? I can't just let go of it!"

"That's the problem Skylar, maybe you should let go of it." He says hopelessly and finally leaves with a frown on his face.

I know he wasn't talking about the company, his words were deeper hinting at the past which I had desperately clinging on to.

He was the only one who knew I was offered a job in London. He was the only one who knew why I didn't take it. He was the only one who knew I still hadn't moved on. And maybe that was the problem, he was the only one who knew it all and wanted me to let go of it. 

Let go of the pain that I had kept so close to my heart. But I couldn't.