41. Bullet through my heart

Hello my amazing readers! Finally, the chapter of reckoning has arrived!

You're bound to enjoy!

41. Bullet through my heart

Everything happens in slow motion then. I see Luke charge forward, Ethan’s wide, horrified eyes glued to my arm, Luke’s hand pulls back and then his fist hits Ethan square in the face, blood gushes out of his nose.

My hands fly to my mouth, holding back a gasp. My senses come back to me again.

Luke holds Ethan by the throat, slamming him against the wall. I see his feet dangling in the air.

If you touch her again,” Luke growls, his lips curled in a feral snarl “I will rip you apart, limb to limb.”

He pulls his other arm back, pointed fingers fisted tightly. My eyes widen as I stare at him, petrified in place.

Ethan meets my eyes for a split second. I’m sorry, they seem to say. Luke’s fist hits his face again. He doesn’t retaliate. Oh moon, Luke’s going to kill him and Ethan’s going to let him. Because of me.

“Stop!”

Luke’s fist stops centimeters from Ethan’s face. His eyes meet mine and instinct tells me to run as dark pools of stormy rage stare at me.

No, I tell myself, Luke wouldn’t hurt me. I force my feet to move, reaching him almost carefully.

“Let him go,” I raise my hand to lower his fist, he doesn’t budge “Luke, please, this isn’t you.”

Luke keeps his gaze locked on mine for a moment, then I don’t know what he sees on my face that makes his eyes clear, his drops his hands and steps away from Ethan.

Ethan collapses on the floor, breaking into a coughing fist. Big, ugly bruises on his pale neck. I almost step forward to help, but then stop. Now is not the time for this. I glance at Luke.

He looks away, his jaw clenched but his eyes aren’t outraged anymore, just frustrated. With whom, I don’t know.

Luke takes my hand in his with a gentleness I didn’t imagine from someone who just beat someone into pulp. We walk in silence towards our room. He guides me to the bed and I sit down as Luke shuffles through our bag.

He takes out a small glass bottle and nods towards my arm. Without a word, I hold it out. Luke bends down on one knee and spreads the cool cream over the bruise. I sense the tension in his frame, his clenched jaw.

“Luke,” I say softly, my hand already on its way to touch his cheek “I’m okay.”

He lets out a breath, leaning into my palm and looks up. I’m taken aback by the sole intensity of his gaze, a livid storm in his blue eyes.

“I’m going to kill him.”

“He didn’t mean it.” I say quietly, dropping my hand from his face

“Intentions only stay in your head," he says "It's the actions that have consequenses."

He turns his eyes to the fading bruise on my arm, holds my hand in his own, his grip gently reassuring.