Chapter 39

She couldn't believe that Sirius had actually sent her a Christmas present. Jenna felt a little bad that she hadn't gotten him anything, but she tried to push the thought away for the time being.

Excitement washed over her as Jenna opened the little box, and inside, she saw a little candle, with another note next to it.

    Feeling a smile creep through her face, Jenna picked up the note, which was longer than the first one, and read through,

Dear Jenny,

This isn't really a secretive gift, but I knew it would piss James off if I told you not to open it in front of him. I'm pretty sure he made a scene because of it, and I really wish I was there to see it.

Anyway, this candle is a little more special than it seems. It has Amortenia in it as the scent.

Before you jump into conclusions, let me say that: no, this won't make you fall in love with me, because that only works if you drink the potion or eat something that has a few drops in it. Besides, I don't think I'll ever need to give someone a potion to make them fall madly in love with me.

     "You're twelve, you arrogant git," Jenna said to herself with an eye-roll, though her grin never faded away as she read on,

As you probably know — unless you've been living under a rock these past eleven years — Amortenia's scent is pretty special, because each person smells something different. They smell what they're most attracted to.

I hope you like the present. Merry Christmas.

L̶o̶v̶e̶
Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶
Sincerely,
Sirius

    Jenna noticed that Sirius had signed the bottom of the letter a few times, though he had scratched them with his quill, as though he couldn't make up his mind on how to sign it. But at last, he had decided to just write 'sincerely'.

    For some reason, Jenna felt an unfamiliar feeling in her stomach that she couldn't explain, because it had never happened before in her life. It was as if her heart had started tingling, warming up her whole body. She could even feel herself blushing.

    Unable to wipe her smile away, Jenna placed the letter down on her bed and took out the candle from inside of the box. She brought it up closer to her face and smelled it, but she felt nothing. It had to lightened.

    So with that, she called out, "Mickey!"

    The next moment, the house elf appeared inside the room, bowing deeply. "Yes, my Lady?"

    "Can you get me a match?" Jenna asked, her heart still beating fast.

    "Of course, my Lady!" said Mickey, snapping his fingers together and making a matchbox appear out of thin air.

    Jenna took it from him with a smile. "Thank you, Mickey."

     With one last bow at her, the house elf disappeared from her room once again, leaving her alone.

    Biting the inside of her cheek from excitement, Jenna placed the candle on her desk and took out a match, creating a small flame. She then carried it toward the candle, lighting it up.

    The moment the beautiful flame of the candle cast a orange tint around it, the most incredible smells filled up Jenna's rooms.

    She could smell the earth after rain, cherry blossoms that bloomed in spring, and the bakery in the village near their house which always had freshly baked bread.

    Although she was also smelling a fourth scent, which she couldn't understand what it was, though it was very familiar to her.

***

The Christmas break was over sooner than the kids had hoped. The most important reason was that both James and Jenna had delayed their homework for the very last day, and had to spend hours doing their assignments together.

Jenna had joined James in his room, and they were both sitting on the floor, surrounded by books, parchments, their ink bottles, and quills. They thought that maybe if they had team work, they could finish it all on time.

Before, James had been secretly planning on not doing his homework at all, so he could go to school and copy it from Remus, knowing that he had probably done them all perfectly. Although Mrs. Potter told the twins sternly to do all their homework, or she would be writing to Professor McGonagall.

"I bet they'll become best friends by the end of our seventh year, if it keeps going like this," said James as he flipped through his History of Magic book grumpily. "McGonagall threatens us to write to Mum if we don't behave, and Mum threatens us that she'll write to McGonagall! No one's taking our side in this scenario!"

"Were you expecting McGonagall to take your side and applaud you for not doing your homework?" Jenna asked him wittily.

"No, but we need at least a little bit of support throughout life, don't we!?" James huffed, going back to writing his assignment.

Jenna was laying on her stomach on the floor, scribbling quickly on her parchment about the usage of the Wiggenweal Potion. Although she stopped when she realized James was frowning at her direction, staring at her head sharply.

"What?" Jenna turned to face him, growing slightly irritated.

"Shut up, I'm trying to read your mind," said James, staring at her harder.

Jenna rolled her eyes. "Any luck so far?"

"No." James sighed in annoyance before finally looking away. "Why don't you just save me the trouble and tell me what Sirius sent you?"

"No."

"I'll give you five Galleons."

"No."

"Ten Galleons!"

"No."

"I'll — I'll do your homework for a month!"

Jenna gave him a look. "We both know that's impossible."

"Why can't you just tell me!?" James groaned miserably.

"Ugh, fine!" Jenna said in defeat, though she had a plan. "The reason I can't tell you is because what was inside the box could give you a lethal illness."

"What are you talking about?" James asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"It will give you a very damaging sickness, and it could ruin you forever. It's very dangerous," she sais sternly. "The illness is called B.N.G."

"What the hell is that?" James grimaced.

Jenna grinned, saying, "it stands for 'Being a Nosy Git."

"Okay, that's it!" James jumped to his feet and grabbed his pillow in a quick motion to hit her, but Jenna had already squealed and laughed, running out of the room as James chased after her.