Chapter 32

Vince's POV

"Me and the guys traced him back to some house in a pretty shabby town. A few hours earlier and maybe we would've found him there and been able to follow his movements there onwards. He's gone now." Dante informed me, leaning against the wall, his hands tucked into the pockets of black ripped jeans.

"What use do I have of that information?" I questioned him as I stayed seated on the brown wooden bench and my eyes glued to the piece of painting hanging against the off-white walls of my small art gallery.

"Significa che ci stiamo avvicinando, Vince." (It means we're getting closer, Vince.) He gritted out his teeth.

"Non è abbastanza." (It's not enough.) My voice was low and dangerous as my patience wearied thin with his each visit.

A laugh rumbled low in his throat as he pushed himself off the wall, twisting the ring on his middle finger slowly. Something he did quite often.

"Credi che non lo sappia?" (You think I don't know that?) He slowly walked ahead  and stopped a few steps before me. "This isn't a random fucker we're up against. This is an entire organization that we're trying to bring down. It's not going to be a fucking walk in the park."

"We've been at it for long enough now."

"And we're much closer now than we were before." He snapped at me, a vicious bite in his tone that told me he was losing his edge with me. "Listen. This is frustrating for you. I know. I just want you to know that I'm trying my best here. I want her to be safe just as much as you. She's part of the family." His shoulder's fell as his voice lowered into something reassuring.

A heavy sigh escaped my mouth as I spotted Rosa enter the room on her ridiculously quiet feet from the corner of my eye. "Am I interrupting something here?" She spoke cautiously, her eyes darting between me and Dante.

"Did you know that Vince has a kilt in his closet in Sicily?" That bastard.

Rosa looked a me wide-eyed, a grin forming on her face as I flashed Dante a deadly glare. "I did not but thank you for telling me about it." Plopping down next to me on the bench, she placed her chin on my shoulder and stared up at me with a cute smile. I knew exactly what was coming when Dante announced that piece of information without warning. I turned my head away knowing what Rosa was trying to do but of course that wasn't going to stop her.

"So when do I get to see you wear it?" She asked me, her eyes gleaming like a child's.

"Never. I threw it away." I lied. I did keep it for some reason but she didn't need to know that. The real question was how Dante knew that but the answer was obvious: He sneaked into my bedroom. A bastard indeed.

"Lies." Rosa shook her head and wrapped her arms around my body to try and persuade me into wearing the kilt in front of her. I wasn't going to fall for her tricks. 

Dante's attempt at lightening the mood was short-lived as I spoke again. "What was the name of Alvaro's second?"

Dante paused for a moment. "David Torres. Why?"

"Send his family a gift from me." I looked up at him. A risky move with serious consequences but something that would send across a message to the Mexican Cartel. I was willing to do whatever I needed to protect my family and I would go to war with him if I have to.

"Vince." Rosa sat up straight, the expression on her face changing to one of worry. 

"What kind are you thinking?" Dante asked me. His lack of change in tone told me that he was on board with my plan as well.