22 ~ Ill Omen

"Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven

"Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..."

Evelyn felt a sharp jab in her side as her head shot up groggily, her eyes blinking rapidly trying to remember where she was. She didn't realize she had dozed off in the middle of church until Sybil's harsh awakening with her bony elbow. Mary rolled her eyes and smirked at the weekly occurrence that was Evelyn nearly passing out in church. Evelyn sniffed and rubbed her eyes before turning her attention back to the minister as he closed out the service.

"Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen."

"Amen." The room repeated and rose from the pews.

"I swear Evelyn this happens every week!" Sybil scolded as the family exited the chapel.

She chuckled. "I know. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful but his voice is so dull and he says the same thing just about every week! I'm sure God understands."

Mary shook her head. "Oh yes, I'm sure."

"Evelyn, dear, have you thought at all about Friday?" Cora asked, appearing next to Evelyn.

She raised a brow. "What's Friday?"

Mary chuckled. "May twenty-first? Ring any bells?"

Evelyn came to the realization after a few seconds of thought.

Edith scoffed. "How do you forget your birthday every year?"

"I don't, Edith...I usually remember it like the day before."

"Well now that you remember what would you like to do?" Cora chuckled.

"The same as always." She said nonchalantly.

"The same? We've been doing the same thing for twelve years. You really have nothing else in mind?" Mary pushed.

She shook her head. "Nope. I quite enjoy my annual birthday tradition...and for the staffs' sake I would never change that aspect."

Cora nodded. "Alright, dear. Now, Mises Patmore has insisted that she make your cake this year as she had in the years prior. She knows you wanted her to not worry about it last year but she said the one from the bakery was awful because she hadn't made it herself."

"Are you sure, Mama? We may get a salt block on accident." Mary remarked.

"Now Mary, be kind." Cora jawed. "What do you think, Evie?"

"That defeats the purpose!"

"I know but you know it would make Mises Patmore happy."

Evelyn groaned. "Fine...but I want her deciding everything, just like she used to. I trust her."