sixteen

THE RELIEF SHE HAD FELT ONCE they reached the other side of the Fold. Everything had gone smoothly, not a single Vulcra had been sighted through the whole way. Now that they had reached West Ravka, it was time to get moving. As much as she's grown to enjoy the company of Inej, they'd have to part from them. The last thing she wants, is for them to get caught in between the crossfire.

"After surviving the Fold together, I think it is fair to say a beautiful friendship will form between us." Jesper says happily, making both Kaz and Nyx look at each other. A silent agreement between them that they were more than likely not going to stick together from here on.

"I am grateful for your help in crossing the Fold. Once again, we're indebted to you." Nyx says to Kaz, who nods appreciatively.

"It was a pleasure to meet you. May the Saints be with you on your endeavours." Inej says with an encouraging smile, making Zoya beam at her.

"I hope one day we meet again. There is so much I wish to discuss with you." David says excitedly to Jesper, who smirks and throws an arm around the Durast.

"You still have so much to learn, David. Next time we meet, I'll teach you how to be nearly as charismatic as me." Jesper hums, making David nod enthusiastically and Nyx chuckles softly as she shakes her head at them.

"Jesper, time to go." Kaz calls out for Jesper, who pats David on the back one last time before walking away with his friends. Zoya and David turn to look at Nyx expectedly.

"What now? What's our next move?" Zoya asks as she crosses her arms over her chest and Nyx takes a deep breath as she turns to look at Novokribisk. It would be the first city to fall after Aleksander took control of the Fold.

She could imagine him heading north for the Morozova Stag and putting it on Alina. That would mean he'd be on his way back to Kribiski after, to go through the Fold. She was well aware that he was close to finding the Stag and it was a matter of time, before he did. Which meant in a week or two he'd be making his plans - what used to be their plans - a reality.

"We head to Os Kervo. There we have to get rid of General Zlatan. He's only going to be a hindrance." Nyx says, making Zoya frown in thought.

"But is he not the leader of the West Ravkan Independency? Would he not be useful?" Zoya asks and Nyx shakes her head.

"We don't want to separate Ravka. We want to take it away from the Darkling. First step, get rid of General Zatlan-"

"You mean General Zlatan." David cuts her off and Nyx waves him off.

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, get rid of him. And show the King we can do what the Darkling can't. Which brings me to step two, send the head of the General to the Grande Palace. During the time we're doing this, the Darkling will be trying to get the Morozova Stag for Alina, to then destroy the Fold. That will gain him some points." Nyx explains to them, not mentioning the fact that Aleksander wasn't going to destroy the Fold.

"So your plan is to have the King, who hates you, to side with us?" Zoya asks in confusion and Nyx shakes her head.

"No. We want to have the King doubt the Darkling's ability. Even if he's the King, going against the Darkling head first would be too dangerous. So he would never dare side with us. But he will put pressure on the Darkling." Nyx elaborates and Zoya nods in agreement.

"So we're going to create doubt between the Grande Palace and the Little Palace." David summarises, Nyx nods in confirmation as a smirks tugs at her lips.

"And while they're busy questioning themselves we take over West Ravka. Take the First Army posted here under our control. Then we move back across the Fold." Nyx concludes and Zoya moves to stand next to her, David awkwardly doing the same.

"I like that plan. So who will you make your second in command once you're General of the Second Army?" Zoya asks with a smirk, Nyx shakes her head.

"When we have the whole Second Army under our control, I'm not staying at the Little Palace. My goal isn't to take his position for myself, it's simply to take away what he holds dear." Nyx muses and David gapes at her.

"So you're going to leave us?" David asks in disbelief, making Nyx shake her head.

"No. I just think it's time for some new leadership. The Darkling and I aren't fit for the position anymore." Nyx says softly, before taking a deep breath. "Anyway, let's go find a place for the night and get some rest. Tomorrow morning we'll make our way to Os Kervo."

"Oh yeah, I definitely need some rest. After that trip." Zoya groans as they start walking in the direction of Novokribirsk.