✍Maybe this is our chance to be happy

"I love you Jordan"...

I turned back to see a sleeping Kira, she must be dreaming. Hopefully, she'll regain her memory soon.

After my nightly routine, I laid down on my bed placing one hand under my head and looking up to the ceiling. The question to which I had no answer kept ringing in my mind.
'Do I really want her to remember?'

A part of me wished she'd stay that way, happy, bright, cheerful, child-like. That smile always kept me going no matter how many times I failed. When I led our army in the great war, I sometimes made wrong calculations, which put us at a disadvantage, resulting in casualties and me getting seriously wounded.
At those times, she was the only good thing in my life. Her smile gave me hope, and just listening to her talk about random things gave me ideas on my next strategy. She saved us all and she didn't even know it.
Maybe I'm just being a little selfish, but I want her with me. She is the reason I remained in Verthona after faking my death for I could not leave her in such a state.
Maybe I can convince her to come with me to another country. It would be a dream come true to grow old with her.

A light knock on my door made me wake up from my slumber, who could it be at this time of the night? I wondered.
I peeped through the hole in the door and immediately opened it.
There she was, with a panics stricken face. She quickly embraced me, crying uncontrollably.

"My father is dead!!".
She cryingly said.

I led her to the chair beside my bed and offered her a cup of water.
I sat facing her, lending a listening ear and a shoulder she could cry on.

"I had a bad dream, I saw many people in front of our house, and an arrow shot at my father".
Her continuous cries made my heart restless, what should I tell her?

"I want to see my father now!"
She screamed in tears. At this point, I knew I needed to calm her down. So I hugged her tightly to my chest, trying to console her, saying it was just a dream.

"Sir Jordan, I want to see my father".
Lifting her head from my chest, she demanded.

" You will see him soon little princess ". Feeling guilty for lying to her.

" When?!"
She burst into fresh tears.
I continued to pat her back and hold her close.

"Very soon".. I assured her.

A few silent moments later, when my eyelids were growing tired,

" Sir Jordan " she called.

" Just Jordan ". I corrected.

"Okay, Just Jordan Sir?".

Humph! Why do I bother?.

" What can I do for you little girl?".
Trying to stay awake for her sake.

"Are you married?". Quite a surprising question, I found it a little funny.

" No, I am not". I replied immediately.

"Engaged?"

"No"

"Then can I say something?"
Her voice already sounded distant despite her being so close, but I kept myself partly awake to reply to her never-ending questions.

"You are already bombarding me with questions. Why do you need permission for the next?" I asked.

"Because you might get angry with me".

"I promise I won't". I assured her.

" I think I'm in love with you Sir".

My eyes popped wide open.