✍️The countdown

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Back home, as Hector told the guys what Jared had said, Edrin listened silently...
The men turned to him in hopes of hearing him say something at least, even Kira waited for her husband's instructions. But he just stood there, thinking. Minutes later, he looked up at all their faces including his wife's...

"Prepare for battle". Authority dripping from his voice.

"Yes, your highness". They answered simultaneously.

"But we are just a few in number my lord, how do we go about it?" Kira asked the question in the men's minds.

Edrin stared at his gorgeous wife. Her big eyes look so innocent he could not help but hold her close to himself. "I will have the Verthonian army at the arena first thing tomorrow. The rest of you should go train and discover as many tricks as you can. Tell Richard to finish setting up the traps before nightfall". He ordered.

"Yes, your highness". They chorused again and went their way, leaving the couple alone.

She was curious as to how he and Jared drew a well-detailed strategy without her knowledge, as though reading her mind, Edrin answered her innermost question... "We came up with this whole thing back in Aakh, on our way here, my dear". He then stroked her soft cheeks. They have a lasting rosiness that never goes away no matter what mood she is in, which, he found quite pleasant.

In her eyes were glimmers of worry. "Are we going to be okay?". She asked, as her eyelids flicker most adorably, making the blood in his veins surge.

He caressed her cheeks and gave a gentle answer; "Yes, we are".

The look he gave her brought her to the realization of his burning desire, but she ignored it. This was no time for romance.

"I want to fight." She announced.

This put Edrin out of the mood he was in, and a crease appeared on his forehead. He pulled away. "No."

"Why?"

"Because I said so".

"Please Edrin, I want to fight for Verthona too"

"I said No!!!"
Before he could apologize for yelling, she walked out on him.

"I'd rather have you mad at me than let you fight".
___

Soon, everyone was training for the battle against the unknown. They understood the importance of ending whatever had stolen their peace. No matter what they had to sacrifice.

On the night-road

Jared and Victor followed the strange men silently as they marched like soldiers through the cold, dark, lonely path to wherever they were headed.
It was the seventh night after they began following their tracks. The night road is quicker than the normal route which would have taken longer.
There was something that did not seem right at all, the men did not go through the main gate of Aakh, rather they went through a secret gate where each man was being checked one by one. Victor made a noise from behind the bushes which caught the attention of the last man at the line; when he went to check, Jared quietly knocked him out, tied him up, and put on his armor. It was almost dawn so they had to hurry.
Jared put on the man's mask and went to take his position at the back of the long queue and since he had learned the Aakhian dialect during his stay, he spoke to the man in front, convincing him to come to see something he had found. The soldier reluctantly followed him to the bushes...
'This better be good', said the soldier in his native tongue before staring in the direction Jared was pointing at. To meet Victor's fist that knocked him out cold. He put on this man's mask.
The noise drew some attention, but the two instantly walked out acting as if they were at loggerheads.
"Stop it, soldiers!", Ordered one of them in the Aakhian dialect. They stopped their fake-fighting
Since they were both on masks, they didn't suspect a thing.
When it was their turn to enter, Jared stayed behind Victor to make sure the latter went in first.
The man at the gate asked for his name, Victor who did not understand the language, stood there gawking.
Jared whispered, "He is asking for your name"
Victor cleared his throat and started coughing severely... Jared covered for him by telling the man that Victor has a very terrible flu that is contagious. This prompted the man to back away and let Victor pass, even Jared walked in fast to avoid further questioning.