Part thirteen [knowledge of fools]

The presence of another person has never thrown you off more than at that moment. With slow movements the man's face turned from you and back to Kohaku, he leaned in and whispered something to your peer as he made no attempts to even move. Kohaku simply listened.

With that, the man in black stood up from his seat and with his hands in his pockets nonchalantly walked over to your form.

Once he knelt you slightly moved back. He chuckled at your carefulness.

"Well..." He spoke, his voice deep, dry and rumbly. "Your eyes really are like hers. Yes, I remember them, nearly identical."

Your entire face paled, static filling your head as you stared down at the man whose face was still obscured by shadow.

"Yes, your face is a total copy of your mother's."

It was like time stopped, the world collapsing onto itself and the sky falling upon your frame as those words rang through your head. Banging against the inside of your skull making you clench your teeth and grab at the sides of your sweater with fingers so sweaty they would surely leave handprints.

The man laughed, his slow chuckle set a knot through your throat and into your stomach. "There there. Don't be scared little one. Fear doesn't suit you." Reaching out he pet your head with his large hand.

His touch was gentle but set so many alarms in your head your entire frame stiffened like a statue.

With that pat, the man chuckled again. "Truly the same, I still can't do anything about your quirk. Those pesky eyes...I should have known." The stranger scoffed and pushed his hand back into his pocket.

With that, he walked away.

You were not brave enough to turn around and look at him. You simply stood in place, paralyzed from head to toe with fear.

As the steps grew far enough to be inaudible to your ears you finally moved slightly by letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding.

Shakingly you ran up to Kohaku, the boy sat upon the bench, his hands in his lap as he stared down at his feet. His face was twisted into an expression you were not able to describe. It was one of complete and utter doom, fear, and realization. A realization that made you reevaluate your entire life, your very being, your morals, and your beliefs. It was very much a blank expression but the eyes conveyed everything, the emptiness of the pupil spoke more than the mouth.

"Kohaku..." You whispered and placed your hand on his.

The boy snapped out of his trance and slowly his amber optics lifted to you. He did not say anything though.

For a second you wanted to interrogate him, ask questions, and make sure he was okay. However, the twist in your stomach and the dryness in your throat stopped you from saying anything. Questions would come later, you needed to get out of there.

Tugging at Kohaku's hand the child followed you without much resistance. Hurridly you tugged him through the park, your eyes darting around the scenery. You took the shortcut. The sun already set at that point.

The road back was like a blur, arriving at the orphanage you walked next to the fence and finally gathered the courage to speak "We need to inform the supervisors-"

As those left your mouth though the boy behind you suddenly stopped making you trip slightly backward.

"Wha-" you turned to him. Your jaw slamming shut seeing Kohaku looking directly into your eyes, pure unbridled fear piercing through his optics.

"No..." He whispered, the boy's voice wavering with those words. "No no no no no..." You did not expect tears to suddenly spill out from his eyes and down his face. "No please..." Choking on his words Kohaku leaned forward and rested his head against your shoulder. Reaching out his other hand and clenching in around a piece of your sweater.